Settings With Bio Mods

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

synarchist
Novice

Settings With Bio Mods

#1 Postby synarchist » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Hey there cool kids - looking for help from the hive mind. Are there any Savage Settings out there that detail biological equivalents of cybernetics? I'm looking for stuff like the cyberware rules and lists in the Science Fiction Companion, Interface Zero 2.0, and Savage Rifts.

Obviously, I can just take cyberware or powers/Edges and skin them with Trappings, but I reckon an already established rules set might make dealing with things like what (if any) Strain equivalent there is, related new Edges/Hindrances, various advantages and disadvantages, etc. a little easier on me. I've got quite a few Savage Settings but I haven't run across anything with biotech yet.

Anybody out there know of anything that can help me out?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Settings With Bio Mods

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Off hand? Not me.
When I've speculated about it myself, I figured I'd just use the SFC cybernetics as-is (except the Armor; I've had issues with that one since they released the first pdf). That's been my plan for Savage X-Com (if I ever look like I'm going to do a campaign of that).
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

FickleGM
Novice

#3 Postby FickleGM » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:01 am

The only one that I know is Rippers, but that probably isn't the flavor of "bio mods" that you seek.

ZenFox42
Veteran

#4 Postby ZenFox42 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:39 am

You *could* take all the racial/monstrous abilities in the SWD and SFC, and call them "biotech". But that turns all biotech into Edges, which is probably not what you're looking for...

Valhalla, looking over my current copy of the SFC, cyberware armor does not stack with Heavy armor, which is what all Powered Armors have. So you could sink all your Strain into cyberarmor, don a Powered Armor, and still only have the larger of the two armor values.
Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases
Also:Persuasion,Better Bosses,Better Combat Rating
And:historical tech levels,generic sci-fi tech levels

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:39 am

ZenFox42 wrote:Valhalla, looking over my current copy of the SFC, cyberware armor does not stack with Heavy armor, which is what all Powered Armors have. So you could sink all your Strain into cyberarmor, don a Powered Armor, and still only have the larger of the two armor values.

Yeah, they changed that after my post. Note that you use whichever value you want, so against regular damage use the Heavy Armor but against Heavy Weapons you're better off using your +56 normal armor than the maximum +18 from power armor.
But it still stacks with worn armor, like Combat Armor. With 28 Strain of cybernetic armor and a suit of Combat Armor, the character has a total +62 Armor. That gives a Toughness of 70 to 74 for a human, depending upon Edges and Hindrances. That's still tougher than most space ships. :o

Jounichi
Legendary

#6 Postby Jounichi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:55 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:With 28 Strain of cybernetic armor and a suit of Combat Armor, the character has a total +62 Armor. That gives a Toughness of 70 to 74 for a human, depending upon Edges and Hindrances. That's still tougher than most space ships. :o

Can you get 28 strain worth of cybernetics? It's been a while since I've read the SFC, but I didn't think you could.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#7 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Depends upon how you read the Max Strain calculation. It uses the lower of the die types of Spirit and Vigor, and I used to read that d12+X was simply the number [12+X]; with Legendary Edges that goes to d12+2, for a total of 14. After a related Savage Rifts discussion with Clint, I suspect that the intent was that characters are limited to a Max Strain of 12, for the die types.
Regardless, the Cyborg Edge doubles that maximum.
So the maximum safe Strain is either 24 or 28. If all of that is used for Armor then the maximum cybernetic armor bonus is +48 or +56. Which is a lot.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#8 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:10 pm

A lot of the cyberware from SFC can be used whole-cloth. You might want to rename them while leaving the mechanics intact, and maybe add a few of your own (if you have any Shadowrun books, steal ideas from them ;) ).

You may want a new Rule: Tailored Bioware: The bioware is specifically grown using the character's own genes. Double the cost but half the Strain. Tailored bioware has no additional effect on other recipients.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”