Dropping Objects and Momentum

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Toa Lewa
Novice

Dropping Objects and Momentum

#1 Postby Toa Lewa » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi,

One of my players has Telekinesis, and he wants to know what kind of damage he can do when he drops large objects on enemies. My thought is to just treat dropping objects as an improvised weapon. So, if you drop a table (large improvised weapon) on someone's head, it would do Spirit + d8 damage. However, he wonders how we would deal with dropping an object from 20 ft in the air. The Telekinesis rules explain how to deal with dropping an enemy but not dropping things on them. What would you do?

Also, I have another question that is somewhat tied to the last one. What would happen if a player pushed a giant boulder off a mountain and it started rolling down the hill Indiana Jones style? What type of damage does it do to characters in its path? Are there rules for applying damage due to a object's mass and momentum?

dentris
Veteran

Re: Dropping Objects and Momentum

#2 Postby dentris » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:04 pm

You could always use something like falling damage. However, dropping an object on someone's head gives the opportunity for the target to move away, while grabbing and dropping them doesn't (no, even though the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy says otherwise, you cannot miss the ground and therefore avoid damage... ;) )
But the Voice consoles me and it says: "Keep your dreams;
Wise men do not have such beautiful ones as fools!"
--Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal, 1857, Translated by William Aggeler, 1954

Myrmicus
Novice

#3 Postby Myrmicus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:32 pm

For dropped object, I'd use falling damage + improvised weapon damage.
As for the rolling boulder, I'd use vehicle collision damage.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:23 pm

"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Clint
Site Admin

#5 Postby Clint » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Toa Lewa wrote:One of my players has Telekinesis, and he wants to know what kind of damage he can do when he drops large objects on enemies. My thought is to just treat dropping objects as an improvised weapon. So, if you drop a table (large improvised weapon) on someone's head, it would do Spirit + d8 damage. However, he wonders how we would deal with dropping an object from 20 ft in the air. The Telekinesis rules explain how to deal with dropping an enemy but not dropping things on them. What would you do??

Well, it would require an attack roll and much like being able to use Fighting with Telekinesis, I'd just substitute that with Throwing. Improvised weapon is probably good, though dropping/throwing an item from 20' would put it at Long Range for a -4 to hit (on top of improvised).

It's really just an extremely hard attack to pull off. It'd honestly be more effective to just move the item and use Fighting (one of the reasons why it's the primary listed option).

Toa Lewa wrote:Also, I have another question that is somewhat tied to the last one. What would happen if a player pushed a giant boulder off a mountain and it started rolling down the hill Indiana Jones style? What type of damage does it do to characters in its path? Are there rules for applying damage due to a object's mass and momentum?

Like Myrmicus, I'd suggest the Collision rules from Vehicles as that's essentially what it is, a collision with a big moving object.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”