Custom Summon Ally

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Evil Genius Prime
Seasoned

Custom Summon Ally

#1 Postby Evil Genius Prime » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Are there any guidelines for creating custom allies for the summon ally power?
Follow me on twitter!
@EvilGPrime
#SavageHaiku

SGT Anjay
Seasoned

Re: Custom Summon Ally

#2 Postby SGT Anjay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Well, remember that the examples given in the Powers description are just that: examples. They aren't what you "must" take barring houserules. So those examples are the guidelines for whatever specific creature you want to designate for the Power.

Evil Genius Prime
Seasoned

#3 Postby Evil Genius Prime » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:01 pm

SGT Anjay wrote:Well, remember that the examples given in the Powers description are just that: examples. They aren't what you "must" take barring houserules. So those examples are the guidelines for whatever specific creature you want to designate for the Power.

I totally get that. Which is why I'm looking for guidelines on what would be balanced at each level of the power.
Follow me on twitter!

@EvilGPrime

#SavageHaiku

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Beyond the guidelines the power already gives?
Those are going to be dictated by the setting, more than anything else. For example, a Fire Elemental is kind of weak in a setting where a shepherd's belt knife is enchanted, but is obscenely powerful in a modern police drama setting that has no magical attacks. That's a setting and campaign concern, one that has to be addressed by the GM that's dealing with the issue.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

SteelDraco
Seasoned

#5 Postby SteelDraco » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Sadly, none that I'm aware of. I guess you could calculate the Combat Rating of the given creatures, if you're into that sort of thing, and then base the custom ones off of that. As far as I'm aware that's the only "How tough is this creature?" mechanic that exists in the game. And that's assuming that whatever creature you're putting together is intended to be a combat summon, too.

kronovan
Heroic

#6 Postby kronovan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:56 pm

SteelDraco wrote:As far as I'm aware that's the only "How tough is this creature?" mechanic that exists in the game. And that's assuming that whatever creature you're putting together is intended to be a combat summon, too.

It is, but as far as a summoned ally is concerned that's mostly what you have to be concerned about as a GM in terms of game balance. There's lots of tools you can bring into play to challenge PC's and their summoned allies in other encounter types lke social, exploration, etc. I used combat ratings based on the allies in the powers chapter for customs allies in 1 of my campaigns and it worked fine.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”