Tales PDF a great Idea

Post questions or comments directly to the Pinnacle crew here. Please be patient and try to keep conversations to a BARE minimum--the guys get a LOT of mail! Please also direct rules questions to the relevant forum--most folks there will already know what you're looking for. Thanks!

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
Marc Hameleers
Veteran
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:00 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Tales PDF a great Idea

#1 Postby Marc Hameleers » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:21 am

Well, as european i can only be happy about the decision to release the Savage Tales as pdf's.

It saves me money indeed, wich sadly always is an issue, and also means less limit ont he number of them.

So

Half a reason to go yet to another reasons why you are the best Shane, but it's definetly a reason why you are up there :)

Marc, shameless fanboy
In God and Shane we trust

Piotr Korys
Heroic
Posts: 1540
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:24 pm
Location: Legnica, Poland
Contact:

Re: Tales PDF a great Idea

#2 Postby Piotr Korys » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:13 am

Marc Hameleers wrote:Well, as european i can only be happy about the decision to release the Savage Tales as pdf's.

It saves me money indeed, wich sadly always is an issue, and also means less limit ont he number of them.

So

Half a reason to go yet to another reasons why you are the best Shane, but it's definetly a reason why you are up there :)

Marc, shameless fanboy


Yeah, we all praise Shane...
BTW - Thanks for pdfs....
Piotr Korys
Savage Worlds Line Editor, Pinnacle Entertainment Group www.peginc.com
Fajne RPG, www.fajnerpg.pl - Savage Worlds Edycja Polska, Wolsung, Opowieści z Karczmy i nie tylko,

Doc Otto
Novice
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:10 pm
Location: Statesboro, Georgia

#3 Postby Doc Otto » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:06 am

Just out of curiousity, what do you PDF users do when you need to reference something during the game? Do you use laptops? Do you print out the whole thing? Print out sections?

I've got a few RPGs in PDF format, and I find them all but useless for actual gaming, and only good for reading the background.

User avatar
jyates
Seasoned
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 9:43 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

#4 Postby jyates » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:41 am

I am trying to build a collection of pdf's for game use. I do have a notebook that I use for gaming -- it's an old computer that was no longer being used at work it's so old. But I can write adventures and store and read pdf rulebooks on it. I"m also trying to find more cast off notebooks to take to game and use Open RPG or some such (we've no room for minis, but could squeeze in a couple notebooks running OpenRPG for mapping).
Jeff Y.
Deadlands Marshal
"My mistake. Four coffins."
"...if you can accept Zombies made from turnips..." -- The Loremaster. TURNIPS???

jblittlefield
Legendary
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 1:40 pm

#5 Postby jblittlefield » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:14 am

I love PDFs - but not in this case. If I understand Shane's posting correctly (and I admit that I may not) - the articles that would have composed a complete issue of ST are being released as *individual* PDFs. I assume that these will be priced at $5.00 (so you can check out at RPGNow). I'd rather have a full issue of articles for $25 than pay $5 a pop (unless ST was only going to have 5 articles per issue, in which case my unrest is unwarranted).

What's the deal - specifically?

fred the monkey
Seasoned
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Chicago. Usually...

#6 Postby fred the monkey » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:25 am

Doc Otto wrote:Just out of curiousity, what do you PDF users do when you need to reference something during the game? Do you use laptops? Do you print out the whole thing? Print out sections?

I've got a few RPGs in PDF format, and I find them all but useless for actual gaming, and only good for reading the background.


I download stuff to game with all the time. Some of it I print out, so I can read it in bed and on the bus and so on, but some of it just stays on the screen.

Specifically, I almost always buy my gaming stuff from the work computer (faster connection than at home), and read over it while things are slow. If it looks especially good, I print it out. Every so often, I collect all the stuff that I have downloaded and burn it off to a CD and take that home. That is often the end of it, as the wife doesn't like it when I start putting 'too much stuff' on the home computer (she works from home with it, so there is some justification for this argument), but I still will refer back to CDs from time to time. But since I don't have a laptop, or know anyone who does, I don't have the option of refering to them while I am actually gaming. It would be nice, and maybe I'll do it someday, but in the meantime, it's easy for me to print stuff out so that's what I do most.

For the record, this was my pattern even when I worked at a palce where I didn't have regular access to a printer. If I didn't use up my printer toner on gaming material, I would use it on something else. That's why I buy it, to be used! So, I don't consider the 'cost' of printing it to be relevant.
Ooks with the best.

Marc Hameleers
Veteran
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:00 pm
Location: Amsterdam

#7 Postby Marc Hameleers » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:55 am

I'm calling myself Marc the monkey ffor now,a s i feel the same as Fred :)


Marc the temporary monkey
In God and Shane we trust

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19745
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#8 Postby Clint » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:59 am

jblittlefield wrote:I love PDFs - but not in this case. If I understand Shane's posting correctly (and I admit that I may not) - the articles that would have composed a complete issue of ST are being released as *individual* PDFs. I assume that these will be priced at $5.00 (so you can check out at RPGNow). I'd rather have a full issue of articles for $25 than pay $5 a pop (unless ST was only going to have 5 articles per issue, in which case my unrest is unwarranted).


Well, think about it. The minimum length for a Savage Tale is 16 pages, and you'll be paying the same for anything up to 32 pages. That's an average of 24 pages.

Now, a 144 page book is costing $30. If a single Savage Tale cost $5, you should get about 6 per book. Divide 6 into 144, and you get... 24 pages! :D

Personally, I think this is a great idea. I can pick and choose exactly which Savage Tales appeal to me, and those are the only ones I pay for. I don't know how many "compilation" books I bought that I felt I paid too much for what I would actually use.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

jblittlefield
Legendary
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 1:40 pm

#9 Postby jblittlefield » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:11 pm

Clint wrote:
jblittlefield wrote:I love PDFs - but not in this case. If I understand Shane's posting correctly (and I admit that I may not) - the articles that would have composed a complete issue of ST are being released as *individual* PDFs. I assume that these will be priced at $5.00 (so you can check out at RPGNow). I'd rather have a full issue of articles for $25 than pay $5 a pop (unless ST was only going to have 5 articles per issue, in which case my unrest is unwarranted).


Well, think about it. The minimum length for a Savage Tale is 16 pages, and you'll be paying the same for anything up to 32 pages. That's an average of 24 pages.

Now, a 144 page book is costing $30. If a single Savage Tale cost $5, you should get about 6 per book. Divide 6 into 144, and you get... 24 pages! :D

Personally, I think this is a great idea. I can pick and choose exactly which Savage Tales appeal to me, and those are the only ones I pay for. I don't know how many "compilation" books I bought that I felt I paid too much for what I would actually use.


It's not a question of economics - I liked the idea of a semi-annual SW compilation. I understand his reasoning behind doing things this way - it makes sound financial sense and the majority of people will most likely find this to be a great idea.

Honestly though, it doesn't really matter to me. I've found that all I need to enjoy this game is the SW main rulebook - I prefer my own creations to those of others (less tweaking to be done) - and for source material I find my huge collection of GURPS stuff to be more than adequate. I probably won't be buying anymore SW "setting books" (with the notable exception of the Deadlands: Reboot).

palehorse
Heroic
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:05 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Postby palehorse » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:29 pm

I'm reserving judgement 'yea' or 'nay' until I get to see the results, though generally speaking, as a laptop using GM, I'm a fan of PDF's since they don't clutter up my area at game time.

jblittlefield
Legendary
Posts: 7472
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 1:40 pm

#11 Postby jblittlefield » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:36 pm

palehorse wrote:I'm reserving judgement 'yea' or 'nay' until I get to see the results, though generally speaking, as a laptop using GM, I'm a fan of PDF's since they don't clutter up my area at game time.


I'm sure the product will be exactly what we've come to expect - no argument here. I guess my only point was that I would be more likely to pick up a semi-annual print product than a bunch of individual PDFs.

palehorse
Heroic
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:05 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

#12 Postby palehorse » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:42 pm

jblittlefield said:
I'm sure the product will be exactly what we've come to expect - no argument here. I guess my only point was that I would be more likely to pick up a semi-annual print product than a bunch of individual PDFs.


Point taken, and again, I'm inclined to agree.

Guess I'm just used to switching off the judgemental part of my brain til I get a book (or PDF or whatever) in my hands, and then judge it in a vacuum as much as possible... Kinda goes with the job for yours truly.

(Which may sound like I'm tooting my own horn here, but really it's more of a pain in the butt than anything else, and most times I wish I didn't have to. I would love to write a review of some book that says, "Well, compared to Savage Worlds, this blows, but otherwise it's not too bad," but I don't think the editors would get as much of a kick out of it as I do. But, journalistic ethics and all that. :D )

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19745
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#13 Postby Clint » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:44 pm

palehorse wrote:I would love to write a review of some book that says, "Well, compared to Savage Worlds, this blows, but otherwise it's not too bad," but I don't think the editors would get as much of a kick out of it as I do.


I would pay good money to see a review like that! :D
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com

palehorse
Heroic
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:05 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

#14 Postby palehorse » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:33 pm

I wish someone would pay me good money for a review like that!

Marguerite
Seasoned
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 1:45 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

#15 Postby Marguerite » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:53 pm

palehorse wrote:I wish someone would pay me good money for a review like that!


Could we pay you bad money? What about Monopoly money? :-)

Marguerite
Alea Iacta Est!

palehorse
Heroic
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:05 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

#16 Postby palehorse » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:29 am

I've been on this diet long enough, a bag of M&M's and a Mountain Dew would probably do the trick.

marshal kt
Legendary
Posts: 2689
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 9:18 pm
Location: west palm beach, fl

#17 Postby marshal kt » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:45 am

yeah, yopu do look a bit peaked in you pic. ;-)

palehorse
Heroic
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:05 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

#18 Postby palehorse » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:02 am

Yeah, I'm dropping weight like crazy; only problem is, it's all rotting off of my head!

marshal kt
Legendary
Posts: 2689
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 9:18 pm
Location: west palm beach, fl

#19 Postby marshal kt » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:08 am

that's ok.. you weren't using all of that brain anyway.. most people only use like 10%,. go ahead.. eat the rest.

User avatar
MadTinkerer
Legendary
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 11:14 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

#20 Postby MadTinkerer » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:51 am

As a GM, I would have preffered an annual or semi-annual compilation. As someone who is actually writing a Savage Tale, my maximum number of words has doubled to a minimum(going from no more than 4000 words to at least 8000 words)! So Hearts of Steel will take even longer to write(I had nearly finished the 4000- words version), but now I can put back in all the cool stuff that I had taken out for space constraints, expand the "Hey, GMs, don't let your players read this!" section, increase the number of adventures, heck maybe "go for broke" and turn it into a 32+ page plot-point book. Maybe. We'll see. ;)
"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" - Agatha Heterodyne

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!


Return to “Hey Pinnacle!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests