Playing an angel in Rippers

Information and comments on all Pinnacle official Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

poohooty
Novice

Playing an angel in Rippers

#1 Postby poohooty » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:32 am

My GM is allowing us to play monsters in Rippers. If I play an angel would it be considered a sin to have a Rich Edge? What else would be not allowed for an angel?

Virgobrown72
Heroic

#2 Postby Virgobrown72 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:37 pm

The Pacifist Hindrance would work well, but i think you would have to make a decision on were the monsters fit in with the religion the angel is based on...
"That which does not kill me, makes me Shaken..."

VonDan
Legendary

#3 Postby VonDan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:41 pm

I once had an idea for a comic scenario about "HarK" the herald angel. He is only the messenger of the celestial host but wants to be a arch angel war leader. He steels an Arch angel armor suit and sword and heads to earth. Hark has no combat skills other then being immortal so when he hits the streets to defend the innocent he gets his ass kicked every time but the villains spend so much time and energy just trying to put him down temporarily that the innocent victims always have time to get away

GranFalloon
Veteran

#4 Postby GranFalloon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Here's my take on it. Use only what you like.

Angels are not God's soldiers, they are His messengers. They are powerful, but an angel stationed on Earth is probably there to provide guidance to a chosen individual or group. The Pacifist hindrance might be appropriate, if he is forbidden from directly interfering in the affairs of Man. He might deliver a sound beating on evildoers, but cannot take God's gift of Life. Against agents of Hell, however, he unleashes all the fury of Heaven.

An angel on Earth is there for a purpose, and bends all his will toward that purpose. In this case, he's probably there to ensure the group achieves some great destiny. His job is to help God's will to be worked through the acts of Man. To that end, he could have the Rich edge, but nobody ever sees his wealth. When the lodge truly needs something, it is provided.

If I were building one, I would give him the Miracles AB, and pretty much only take "buff" powers. He would fight in a support position, covering others' backs while they make glorious achievements.

Think Gandalf (seriously, he's an angel). He would lay a beating down on orcs and all, but he was there to guide Frodo and Aragorn to their destinies. Against the Balrog, however, he could really cut loose. In your case, I'd go even more blatant. Suddenly your humble little sidekick dons the Armor of God, white wings sprout from his back, and he leaps into battle with a golden flaming sword (Armor, Smite, the Champion and Holy Warrior edges).

You probably don't want to wait until the game's climax to mix it up, so feel free to kick some ass against any supernatural evil. Stats-wise, I would invest in Leadership edges, Common Bond, Miracle powers, Spirit, Strength and Vigor, with high Persuasion, Intimidate, Notice and Fighting. Build all those up quietly, so that when you successfully intimidate a demon and then slaughter it singlehandedly, jaws drop all around the table (I think demonic immunity to Fear should be lifted when facing a pissed-off angel).

poohooty
Novice

#5 Postby poohooty » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:12 am

Wow. You guys are awesome. I planned on a pure support role with him. Thanks alot for the help :razz:

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#6 Postby MagusRogue » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:37 pm

even more fun, throw in Adept. that would much simulate the stronger than human stuff, and also allow him to self-buff quickly (free action on all the buff powers).
Adam Loyd
Freelancer and Proofreader (check me out in the Noir books!)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this rant is over.

Return to “SW Official Settings & Companions”