[50F] Total crew capacity.

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Dylan S
Veteran

[50F] Total crew capacity.

#1 Postby Dylan S » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi Clint,
I'm curious if the total crew capacity of a ship is its Crew + Passengers stats? I ask because I'm planning to give my players a Crumster (Crew 8 + 12), which would be overburdened by more than twenty people. I find this strange, as the ship carries 8 guns (total gun-crew of 16), and so could never man a full complement of crew and gunners, let alone passengers. I realize that most ships only man half the guns, but it still seems strange. Or is it that anyone with d6 Boating can count as crew and not take up passenger space?

As an 'unofficial' follow-up, could the players convert some cargo space into additional quarters, and how many 'beds' would you give for each?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [50F] Total crew capacity.

#2 Postby Clint » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Dylan S wrote:I'm curious if the total crew capacity of a ship is its Crew + Passengers stats?

That is the total number of characters the ship can carry (for anything other than a very short trip). The Crew number represents those characters who must be devoted to actually running the ship.

Dylan S wrote:I ask because I'm planning to give my players a Crumster (Crew 8 + 12), which would be overburdened by more than twenty people. I find this strange, as the ship carries 8 guns (total gun-crew of 16), and so could never man a full complement of crew and gunners, let alone passengers. I realize that most ships only man half the guns, but it still seems strange.

Not only do ships only typically man half of their guns, keep in mind that only 1/4 of them can fire at any one target. So in a combat against a single other ship, the Crumster will usually only have to man 2 guns. If they fill their ship with gunners, they could still fire at 3 other ships each turn (and have 2 guns remaining as a "back up").

Also, it's built in as a trade off. A Crumster could man all of its guns, but it would have to pull 4 crewmembers off ship duty to do that, inflicting a -2 penalty to Boating rolls. It would be an emergency tactic, but that's kind of the point.

Dylan S wrote:Or is it that anyone with d6 Boating can count as crew and not take up passenger space?

Not 100% sure what is meant, but the book is clear that gunners are not part of Crew, so perhaps thinking can "passengers" (little "P") count as Crew as well if they have a d6 Boating. If so, then they would actually have to act as Crew to count, it's not just a case of having the skill and not using it.

If I misunderstood (which I think might be likely), shoot me a Private Message, and we'll try and clear it up.

Dylan S wrote:As an 'unofficial' follow-up, could the players convert some cargo space into additional quarters, and how many 'beds' would you give for each?

Sorry, that's falls under house rules, and "unofficial" answers unavoidably reduce the usefulness of this topic. Best I can suggest would be to look for advice in the SW Setting topic or perhaps check out Pirates of the Spanish Main, which has rules for customizing ships in it.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”