[DLN] To whet your appetite...

All discussions about the new Noir setting for Deadlands and Savage Worlds. It's 1935 and the only thing that isn't in short supply is trouble.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Scott A. Woodard

[DLN] To whet your appetite...

#1 Postby Scott A. Woodard » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm

While it has actually been mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I only just discovered it this weekend!

I'm talking about:

It's not official... It's not canon... It isn't even completely compatible with Deadlands Noir, however it is set in the 30s, it features characters that use magic, zombies, Tommy Guns, Weird Science, and a few other similar tropes...

If you're looking for something to tide you over and at least give you a similar flavor, give Hard Magic ("Book 1 of the Grimnoir Chronicles") by Larry Correia a try!
Last edited by Scott A. Woodard on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAVROS: ‘Tar Lubek Ka’leed, Uth Ricta Dal’ek.’ Roughly translated, it means: ‘And on that day, men will become like gods.’ (I, DAVROS: GUILT written by Scott Alan Woodard http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/guilt-393)

#2 Postby thudthwacker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Many thanks for the suggestion -- my library had a copy, so I snagged it last week and just finished reading it yesterday.

I liked it a lot, though the setting felt a lot more like psionics to me than magic (except for some of the rune/kanji/salt-circle stuff, which didn't make a lot of sense to me in the context of how the Power works). That said, the Grimnoir would would make an *awesome* homebrew setting. It makes me wish I knew enough to do an amateur supplement book on dirigibles (design/armor/weaponry/combat/travel).

The Power (which I won't talk about too much more -- spoilers and that) reminded me of the Warlockry power in Lawrence Watt-Evans' "Ethshar" series -- and I do love Ethshar Warlocks.

Return to “Deadlands Noir”