Ranged weapons as improvised melee weapons

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Matchstickman
Seasoned

Ranged weapons as improvised melee weapons

#1 Postby Matchstickman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 am

Your answer in this thread says

The Shooting roll may face a cover penalty (if trying to fire past the adjacent foe), and I would also say that someone using the weapon to make a ranged attack is not simultaneously using it as a Improvised Weapon (meaning they are effectively an Unarmed Defender and +2 to be hit by an adjacent foe or foes with a weapon).

but this later thread says the exact opposite

It could be played that way if the group prefered it (since the rule affects all characters equally), but "officially," if a character had a viable improvised weapon in their hand, they would not be an Unarmed Defender even if they used that item for something else as an action. It's simpler and easier, plus it's not like a character is considered unarmed when they choose to attack with a melee weapon, so why when they choose to attack with an Improvised one (even if that attack is shooting).

Which ruling is correct? (or are they talking about different things and I have my wires crossed?)

EDIT: On re-reading the first thread I see it mentions shooting at someone other than the person attacking you in melee, does the target of your (shooting) attack make a difference to whether or not you are considered to have an improvised weapon to defend with?
Collegium member: "Science is not an exact science."

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Ranged weapons as improvised melee weapons

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:53 am

Matchstickman wrote:Which ruling is correct? (or are they talking about different things and I have my wires crossed?)

Latter ruling is correct. First one has been edited to remove that reference.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”