[Fantasy Companion] Enchantments and Skill Bonuses

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sdrolion
Novice

[Fantasy Companion] Enchantments and Skill Bonuses

#1 Postby Sdrolion » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:02 pm

This is probably an amazingly stupid question, but I've gotten myself all confused over how skill bonuses from enchanted items actually work. Are they a flat bonus to the roll result, or do they work more like the Boost Trait spell?

That is: If I have a Longsword that gives +1 to Fighting, and my Fighting skill is 1d8, then while using that Longsword, is my Fighting roll:

1. (Higher of Fighting 1d8 or Wild 1d6)+1, or
2. Higher of 1d10 or Wild 1d6, or
3. Higher of 1d8+1 or Wild 1d6

And would this work the same way for other "skill bonus" items, such as a ring that gives +1 to Notice?

Thank you, and I apologize if this is a kind of dumb question. I thought it worked like #1, but the character creation program "Hero Lab" treats it like #2, and I wasn't sure who was right. O_O

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [Fantasy Companion] Enchantments and Skill Bonuses

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:07 am

Sdrolion wrote:This is probably an amazingly stupid question, but I've gotten myself all confused over how skill bonuses from enchanted items actually work. Are they a flat bonus to the roll result, or do they work more like the Boost Trait spell?

That is: If I have a Longsword that gives +1 to Fighting, and my Fighting skill is 1d8, then while using that Longsword, is my Fighting roll:

1. (Higher of Fighting 1d8 or Wild 1d6)+1, or
2. Higher of 1d10 or Wild 1d6, or
3. Higher of 1d8+1 or Wild 1d6

And would this work the same way for other "skill bonus" items, such as a ring that gives +1 to Notice?

Thank you, and I apologize if this is a kind of dumb question. I thought it worked like #1...

You are correct, it works like #1. And yes, that applies to any flat bonus to a Trait (skill or attribute).
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”