Space Battles!

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Metarusuta
Novice

Space Battles!

#1 Postby Metarusuta » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 am

How would you handle these? Specifically ones involving REALLY BIG ships such as the Star Destroyers of Star Wars as well has many other fighter sized ships?

farik
Seasoned

#2 Postby farik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 am

My answer would be. "It depends."

If dog fighting is a big element I'd bust out the vehicle rules and run some numbers to modify scale.

If I want fights to be quick and abstract I'd modify the chase rules.

If I want the fights to be epic in scale I'd use the mass combat rules.

Most likely I'd use a combination of all three depending on the adventure.

warrenss2
Heroic

#3 Postby warrenss2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:12 pm

I asked the same thing HERE just about a week ago. Although I didn't come flat out and say it I was thinking in Star Wars type ship combat. It might help you out.
:blam:

Maine
Seasoned

#4 Postby Maine » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Like farik said, but if the players aren't able to influence the outcome, I would just decide on the outcome (or roll a die if I was fine randomizing the outcome).

I think Mass Combat works best for most situations, as each player can come up with a way to contribute based on where they are and what they can do.

Basically, don't deviate too far away from storytelling and keeping mechanics FFF.

ogbendog
Legendary

#5 Postby ogbendog » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:31 pm

It depends on the roll of the PCs. Do they each command one big ship each? are they the command crew of one ship in the fleet? Or they fighter pilots?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:03 pm

I gave the same basic advice in the following two threads, referencing my own Star Wars campaign(s). I used chases, vehicles, and mass battles at various times, but the most fun and player inclusiveness came from the mass battle.
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36267#353009
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38253#368914

Good luck!
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#7 Postby Sean-Khan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:15 am

I'm currently writing a short document for my upcoming Star Wars game; I'm using John Brown's version for basics, but I want space combats to be fast. I'm planning to use mass combat for all capital ship battles, except perhaps when a capital ship is encountered by smaller craft. Even then these ships have only few statistics - speed to tell how well they stay in the chase, their firepower and toughness should players get heroic with their proton torpedoes.

But I haven't started this game yet as I'm too busy at the moment, I'll tell about my experiences later!

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”