[Hellfrost] Frostborn, Magic, and Maintaining Powers

Discussion of products from companies licensed to produce SW products. Company specific threads should be marked with their name in brackets.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

SunJester68
Novice

[Hellfrost] Frostborn, Magic, and Maintaining Powers

#1 Postby SunJester68 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:56 am

I just started my Hellfrost game last night and so far we are having a good time with it, but a character generation question came up related to frostborn that have an Arcane Background other than Hrimwisardry.

I have a frostborn that has taken the hrimwisardry skill to allow the use of innate powers but plans on picking up AB (Miracles) at a later time and the Faith skill to use with that. The question is how does the penalty for maintaining powers stack between the two skills and two arcane backgrounds?

For example, if the frostborn is maintaining two innate abilities using hrimwisardry and wants to put up a third innate ability, they are -2 on their roll. However, if they want to cast the bolt miracle using thier faith and they are maintaining no miracles currently, do they take the -2 on the faith roll?

The tentative ruling that I made last night based on a strict reading of the players guide was that they would not take any penalty on the Faith roll for maintaining innate powers through hrimwisardry and vice versa.

Opinions? Actual ruling from Wiggy?

Any help is appreciated.

Wiggy
Legendary

#2 Postby Wiggy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:02 pm

All Maintenance penalties are cumulative, regardless of source. You still need to concentrate on holding the maintained magic or miracle in existence while you invoke something else.

So in your example, maintaining two Hrimwisardry-based innate power spells would give a -2 penalty to a Faith cast bolt.

Hope that helps!
Wiggy
Creative Director Triple Ace Games

SunJester68
Novice

#3 Postby SunJester68 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:06 pm

Absolutely! That definitely makes sense. Thanks!

Return to “SW Licensees”