Incapacitation Roll Penalties

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

pcrh
Novice

Incapacitation Roll Penalties

#1 Postby pcrh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:07 pm

This question is easier to ask by way of example:

My hero is totally unhurt (no wound penalties). He takes a massive shot that does tons of damage he can't soak, and it incapacitates him (i.e., enough to make him shaken plus at least 4 wounds).

He must make an incapacitation roll. QUESTION: Is it at -3 (since he just took 3 wounds)? Or is it at no penalty (since he was unhurt before that shot hit him)?

If the former is correct (and he's at -3 on his incap roll), then basically does that mean ALL incapacitation checks are made at -3?

Thanks.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Incapacitation Roll Penalties

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:35 am

pcrh wrote:This question is easier to ask by way of example:

My hero is totally unhurt (no wound penalties). He takes a massive shot that does tons of damage he can't soak, and it incapacitates him (i.e., enough to make him shaken plus at least 4 wounds).

He must make an incapacitation roll. QUESTION: Is it at -3 (since he just took 3 wounds)? Or is it at no penalty (since he was unhurt before that shot hit him)?

If the former is correct (and he's at -3 on his incap roll), then basically does that mean ALL incapacitation checks are made at -3?

Yep, by definition, a Wild Card character cannot be Incapacitated by damage unless he has already taken 3 wounds, so the base wound penalty modifier for the Vigor roll after Incapacitation is -3.

Of course, Hard to Kill completely negates that penalty and Nerves of Steel (and Improved) would reduce it as normal.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”