Any more writeups for other notable figures of the west?

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

daddystabz
Seasoned

Any more writeups for other notable figures of the west?

#1 Postby daddystabz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:40 pm

One of my favorite things I love about the Deadlands Marshal's Guide is that there are writeups for several notorious figures of the west like Wild Bill Hickock, Calamity Jane, Doc Holliday, etc.

Have any of you written up some of the other notable figures of the west or would you consider doing some writeups? There are several more I'd love to see. People like Billy the Kid, Clay Allison, Jessie James, John Wesley Hardin, Pat Garrett, the Youngers, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, etc.

I'm considering using Deadlands to run a gritty pseudo-historical western game without the supernatural elements and would love to use these characters in my game. I'd only need to strip out the supernatural parts of characters for that game and leave them in for when I play in my regular Deadlands campaign.

Anyone take a stab?

The Stray
Seasoned

#2 Postby The Stray » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:14 am

Jesse James, the James Younger Gang, Sam Bass, and Belle Star get write-ups in The Last Sons. There's a lot more there, from Alferd Packer (the Colorado cannibal) to Al Swearengen (if you're a fan of Deadwood), and there's a nod to the Doolin-Dalton gang. Naturally, famous Native American such as Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, and Wovoka get write-ups, but you'll have to tweak them for a non-magical setting.

Butch Cassidy doesn't actually start robbing trains until 1889 or so, so he's a bit outside the timeframe for most of the Deadlands historical events.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

otherdoc
Seasoned

#3 Postby otherdoc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:42 am

A while back I took a stab at doing a Reloaded version of Allan Pinkerton for a previous campaign. In the current one, I've cobbled together Reloaded versions of Bill Tilghman, Ham Bell and Mysterious Dave Mather.
My Blog: Jim - Yes, THAT Jim
My Setting Creation Podcast: Crucible of Realms
My RPG Podcast: The Great Debate!

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#4 Postby Sitting Duck » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:59 am

One of the first Savage profiles I did was of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, based off the movie with Paul Newman and Robert Redford. Since I wrote them up in late 2005, they don't feature any material from Deadlands: Reloaded.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

daddystabz
Seasoned

#5 Postby daddystabz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Any way to get stats for Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett and John Wesley Hardin?

Jonah Hex
Veteran

#6 Postby Jonah Hex » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 am

daddystabz wrote:Any way to get stats for Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett and John Wesley Hardin?

Well, CLASSIC stats for Garrett are in Law Dogs; pity The Quick and the Dead isn't available, I'd snatch that up in a second.
Playing GURPS Victorian Monster Hunters (hiatus)
Running D&D 5e Encounters
Running GURPS Deadlands (Last Sons)

otherdoc
Seasoned

#7 Postby otherdoc » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:51 am

There are stats for a version of Billy the Kid (basically back when he WAS a kid) in the back of the Deadlands: Dead Man's Hand trade paperback from Visionary Comics. So if you want him in his late teens/early 20s, you could potentially take that and adjust it a bit. As for Garrett and Harding, if you're using Reloaded I think your best bet would be to get a hold of their Classic stats and convert them (or just take the Veteran Gunman stats and add and subtract things from it - that's largely what I've been doing for some of the guys I've put together).

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#8 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:30 am

Pat Garret? Nothing specific in Reloaded. Being lazy, I'd use the Veteran Gunman with the Pacifist (Minor) hindrance, and Wild Card status.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

daddystabz
Seasoned

#9 Postby daddystabz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:09 pm

What classic book had stats for Hardin?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#10 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:22 pm

daddystabz wrote:What classic book had stats for Hardin?

The Quick & the Dead, which is both out of print and not for sale as a pdf.

Give me a PM and a couple of days and I might be able to do something for you.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

otherdoc
Seasoned

#11 Postby otherdoc » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Hardin was in Quick and the Dead (which means, I'm realizing, he's only available in dead tree edition, if you can locate a used copy) and was given a few notes to update him in Law Dogs.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”