Powers with multiple uses -- new spellcasting roll for each?

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

Powers with multiple uses -- new spellcasting roll for each?

#1 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:05 pm

This came up in my 50 Fathoms game this past Friday.

If a power with a duration has multiple possible uses, does the player have to make a new Spellcasting roll to switch from one effect to another or from one target to another?

In my case it was elemental manipulation. The player let the roof of a wooden cabin on fire with elemental manipulation, then, the following round, he wanted to add +1 to the chance for the fire to spread. Would that have been a new Spellcasting roll, or assumed to be part of the original casting?
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Powers with multiple uses -- new spellcasting roll for e

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:12 pm

SavageGamerGirl wrote:This came up in my 50 Fathoms game this past Friday.

If a power with a duration has multiple possible uses, does the player have to make a new Spellcasting roll to switch from one effect to another or from one target to another?

In my case it was elemental manipulation. The player let the roof of a wooden cabin on fire with elemental manipulation, then, the following round, he wanted to add +1 to the chance for the fire to spread. Would that have been a new Spellcasting roll, or assumed to be part of the original casting?

As long as he doesn't have to maintain a specific effect (such as the example of slowly lighting an object over the space of several rounds), he could switch between different ones while the power is still active.

So if he spent several rounds lighting the roof on fire (it would be like trying to set it on fire with a match) and once lit, continued to maintain the power, he could use it to urge that fire to spread without activating it again.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”