Vehicle Scale and Passenger Damage

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
thudthwacker
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:17 am

Vehicle Scale and Passenger Damage

#1 Postby thudthwacker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:23 am

I was just reading the Vehicles section of Chapter 4 in the Savage Worlds Deluxe manual (Explorer's Edition, starting on p113), and I've got a couple of questions.

First, a lot of the rules are in terms of tabletop inches -- what's the scale of the vehicles?

Under the heading "Collisions," it states that the "damage to the vehicle and its passengers is 1d6 for every 5" of its current speed", and that damage is halved for hitting soft objects, like people. So, scenario: a character is driving a car at 30" a round, and hits a pedestrian. This inflicts 6d6, let's say an unfortunate roll of 28. Halved, 14. I can't find any sample vehicles in the manual, so I'm not sure what the Toughness of a Chevette might be; however, if I'm reading the rules correctly, the amount of damage that gets through is applied to both the car and the driver. The same situation would exist if a tank took damage while smashing through a makeshift barricade. That strikes me as odd, and I think I might be reading something wrong.

(For that matter, even when hitting a solid object like a wall, I would think that there were be modifiers for how much damage the passengers take, based on things like the vehicle itself deforming and absorbing some of the energy of the impact, airbags, safety restraints, and so on. However, for all I know, the crumple-zone considerations are already present in the way the math works out in the base rules, and setting books that provide specific vehicle stats could also provide information on applicable safety devices.)

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19572
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

Re: Vehicle Scale and Passenger Damage

#2 Postby Clint » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:54 pm

thudthwacker wrote:First, a lot of the rules are in terms of tabletop inches -- what's the scale of the vehicles?


For tabletop use, the same scale as for characters, 1" = 6 feet.

thudthwacker wrote:Under the heading "Collisions," it states that the "damage to the vehicle and its passengers is 1d6 for every 5" of its current speed", and that damage is halved for hitting soft objects, like people. So, scenario: a character is driving a car at 30" a round, and hits a pedestrian. This inflicts 6d6, let's say an unfortunate roll of 28. Halved, 14. I can't find any sample vehicles in the manual, so I'm not sure what the Toughness of a Chevette might be; however, if I'm reading the rules correctly, the amount of damage that gets through is applied to both the car and the driver. The same situation would exist if a tank took damage while smashing through a makeshift barricade. That strikes me as odd, and I think I might be reading something wrong.


First off, check page 67 for the start of the sample vehicles.

Secondly, the energy of the vehicle hitting the wall is pretty much the same comparatively as the passenger hitting the interior of the vehicle. That what safety harnesses and airbags are designed to reduce, which leads to...

thudthwacker wrote:(For that matter, even when hitting a solid object like a wall, I would think that there were be modifiers for how much damage the passengers take, based on things like the vehicle itself deforming and absorbing some of the energy of the impact, airbags, safety restraints, and so on.


Seat belts and airbags are covered under Safety Harnesses right there in the Collisions section on page 115. In fact, it's the subsection just prior to the one on Soft Obstacles. Might give it a second look.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com


Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest