Question about Incapacitaion

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Question about Incapacitaion

#1 Postby Volt875 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Perhaps this is just a hold over from my D&D days but when your character is incapacitated by damage does he/she go unconscious or is it DM's call?
"...If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!"- Thorin Oakenshield; The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

#2 Postby Zadmar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 pm

In SWEX it was explicitly stated that a success on the Incapacitation roll meant "the hero is unconscious", while a raise allowed you to remain conscious and keep on fighting.

SWD doesn't specify as far as I can tell, although it's unlikely to matter in most cases, as the incapacitated character can't even perform free actions. Personally I might be tempted to let the player remain conscious on a raise if it mattered for the story (eg they're hoping to catch a glimpse of the villain's face before he flees).

#3 Postby newForumNewName » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 pm

Pretty sure that SWD says Incapacitation always means at least unconsciousness. Could be wrong. It's been a while since I read it.
"I had a whole bunch of advice for you but got ninja'd by newForumNewName. I'd just do what he says." -- 77IM

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:46 am

I usually leave them conscious if I want them to see their horrible fate as they lie helpless on the deck.

Otherwise, I give the player something to roll for (allies, monsters, something) to keep the player fully engaged until it's time for aftermath.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Site Admin

#5 Postby Clint » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:51 am

It's up to the GM based on the situation.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”