HOE Mini Mega-Release Kickstarter is live!

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 20016
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

HOE Mini Mega-Release Kickstarter is live!

#1 Postby Clint » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Studio 2 is Kickstarting a Mega-release of HOE miniatures! Every miniature unlocked (or as we like to say "rescued") will be released at the same time Hell On Earth Reloaded hits shelves!

Check out the website and I really hope you like the video!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/hell-on-earth-miniature-mega-release
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 7520
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm

My favorite part? "Violators will not be rescued when the worms come." :lol: :blam:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

User avatar
Jordan Peacock
Legendary
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

#3 Postby Jordan Peacock » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Okay, I can't pass up on that. HoE was my introduction to Deadlands. I have a lot of fond memories. :) Now that it has been "reloaded," I guess I'll have to give it another try (with some appropriate minis, of course).
Image

JackMann
Veteran
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:06 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

#4 Postby JackMann » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 am

I'm in, and will likely hit up the extras as they become available.

However, on the Reaper boards, they pointed out that the main page is kind of sparse on information that's important to folks who aren't already invested in the setting. Things like which sculptors are going to be hired, to what extent Reaper is involved, and so forth.

mac40k
Seasoned
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:32 pm

#5 Postby mac40k » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 am

In and hoping to see a lot of the a la carte items unlocked.

robert4818
Heroic
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:10 pm

#6 Postby robert4818 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 am

My request is that you release more "Generics" than "iconics".

I get that Stone and Hellstrome are important parts of HOE, but really, how often am I going to use my Stone Model on the tabletop? If its anything like classic Deadlands, the answer is "rarely, if ever".

Instead, what gets me buying miniatures is their usefulness. To that end, I'm looking for PC models, Generic Badguys, Monsters.

So, what's most useful to me are things that I can bring to the table, usable in HOE, time and time again.

I'll only buy 1 Stone. I'm liable to buy 5 copies of a "generic".
Aperture Science:
We do what we must, because we can.

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 20016
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#7 Postby Clint » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:42 pm

robert4818 wrote:My request is that you release more "Generics" than "iconics".

I get that Stone and Hellstrome are important parts of HOE, but really, how often am I going to use my Stone Model on the tabletop? If its anything like classic Deadlands, the answer is "rarely, if ever".

Instead, what gets me buying miniatures is their usefulness. To that end, I'm looking for PC models, Generic Badguys, Monsters.

So, what's most useful to me are things that I can bring to the table, usable in HOE, time and time again.

I'll only buy 1 Stone. I'm liable to buy 5 copies of a "generic".


I think you are going to be very happy with this Kickstarter. :wink:
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com

robert4818
Heroic
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:10 pm

#8 Postby robert4818 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Clint wrote:
robert4818 wrote:My request is that you release more "Generics" than "iconics".

I get that Stone and Hellstrome are important parts of HOE, but really, how often am I going to use my Stone Model on the tabletop? If its anything like classic Deadlands, the answer is "rarely, if ever".

Instead, what gets me buying miniatures is their usefulness. To that end, I'm looking for PC models, Generic Badguys, Monsters.

So, what's most useful to me are things that I can bring to the table, usable in HOE, time and time again.

I'll only buy 1 Stone. I'm liable to buy 5 copies of a "generic".


I think you are going to be very happy with this Kickstarter. :wink:


Glad to hear it.

:) Now if we can get more generics for DLR I'll be happy there as well.
Aperture Science:

We do what we must, because we can.

User avatar
Jordan Peacock
Legendary
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

#9 Postby Jordan Peacock » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:57 pm

robert4818 wrote:My request is that you release more "Generics" than "iconics".

...

I'll only buy 1 Stone. I'm liable to buy 5 copies of a "generic".


If I could +1 or Like this, I would. :) This also applies to the recent Bones Kickstarter from Reaper -- there was a big focus on unique "Wild Card" type characters vs. more on a wide selection of monsters & antagonists. (Or, let me hedge, it seemed that way at times.)

In defense of including Stone -- hey, at least he'd work great for a "generic" Harrowed Wild Card. As a bonus, he brings a little bit of the "West" into "Wasted West," which is what I think distinguishes HoE figures from "generic post-apocalyptic." The mecha-Hellstromme, I'm not so sure about; he looks very cartoony, and I'm not sure how that's going to translate to metal.
Image

robert4818
Heroic
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:10 pm

#10 Postby robert4818 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Jordan Peacock wrote:
robert4818 wrote:My request is that you release more "Generics" than "iconics".

...

I'll only buy 1 Stone. I'm liable to buy 5 copies of a "generic".


If I could +1 or Like this, I would. :) This also applies to the recent Bones Kickstarter from Reaper -- there was a big focus on unique "Wild Card" type characters vs. more on a wide selection of monsters & antagonists. (Or, let me hedge, it seemed that way at times.)

In defense of including Stone -- hey, at least he'd work great for a "generic" Harrowed Wild Card. As a bonus, he brings a little bit of the "West" into "Wasted West," which is what I think distinguishes HoE figures from "generic post-apocalyptic." The mecha-Hellstromme, I'm not so sure about; he looks very cartoony, and I'm not sure how that's going to translate to metal.


In the bones, there are definitely some stuff that caught my "generic" attention.
-Pirates
-Nova Squad (Make great generic "storm troopers")
-Kobolds
-Goblins
-Insects
-Undead
-Orkapokalypse (Though this was an add on).

But you are right, there were way more "iconics" than "Generics".
Aperture Science:

We do what we must, because we can.

User avatar
Jordan Peacock
Legendary
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

#11 Postby Jordan Peacock » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:30 pm

robert4818 wrote:In the bones, there are definitely some stuff that caught my "generic" attention.
-Pirates


Actually, the Pirates failed in that regard. At first, I saw we got some pirates. (Yay!) Then I saw what was in the set of 5:

* 2 female pirates. (Yes, I *could* have an encounter with an all-female crew, or with several female pirates ... but that doesn't strike me as a sensible "typical" pirate encounter.)

* 1 Dwarf pirate. (Again, not my typical pirate, unless I plan on featuring crews of Dwarf pirates in my campaign.)

* 1 Pirate captain. (Too many captains spoil the ship.)

* 1 normal pirate ... with a TREASURE CHEST on his shoulder. (Fighting with a bit of a handicap there.)

So, that last pirate is the best contender for "typical pirate crew" except for that treasure chest on his shoulder. Buy 10 of those guys as pirate crew, and they've all got chests on their shoulders, and it's going to look pretty silly.

Having a "generic pirate" for encounters was on my wish list. None of the actual figures presented in the Kickstarter fit the bill for that, in my opinion.

I'll still probably buy "pirate-with-chest-on-shoulder" anyway, but I'll have to try converting the model several times over to remove that box. Just to clarify, I LOVE every single one of those pirate minis, and a great number of those "non-Extra" minis. I want them all! It's just that there were a few minis that were "near-misses" in terms of something that I could have seen myself getting multiples for, to populate encounters against Extras.
Last edited by Jordan Peacock on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jordan Peacock
Legendary
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

#12 Postby Jordan Peacock » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:16 pm

By the way -- I was a little slow to realize this, but I think the name "Deadlands" doesn't appear anywhere on the Kickstarter page. (I did a search for "Deadlands" on the Kickstarter main page to find myself back to the HoE page, but that didn't cut it. I also tried to "find" Deadlands on the HoE main page, just out of curiosity, and didn't get any hits.)

Is there a deliberate effort to avoid any reference to Deadlands on this Kickstarter?
Image

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 20016
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#13 Postby Clint » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Jordan Peacock wrote:By the way -- I was a little slow to realize this, but I think the name "Deadlands" doesn't appear anywhere on the Kickstarter page. (I did a search for "Deadlands" on the Kickstarter main page to find myself back to the HoE page, but that didn't cut it. I also tried to "find" Deadlands on the HoE main page, just out of curiosity, and didn't get any hits.)

Is there a deliberate effort to avoid any reference to Deadlands on this Kickstarter?


Nope. As I understand, there's a limit on the short description and Deadlands was going to go there, but it got cut for space. It's been added to the main information section now though. Thanks!
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 7520
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

#14 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Jordan Peacock wrote:* 1 normal pirate ... with a TREASURE CHEST on his shoulder. (Fighting with a bit of a handicap there.)

Jordan, you're overlooking a major opportunity here.
Make the chest into a weapon. :twisted:
Maybe he keeps flasks of alchemists fire / grenades in there. Maybe the severed heads of his enemies (that's a hell of an Intimidation bonus). Maybe the chest pulls his foes in and crushes them; into diamonds. Maybe it's a funny-looking weight on a chain and he uses it as a reach attack. Maybe it's the box holding his soul and he's Invincible! (fast regeneration) as long as he's within 1" of the chest.
The point is to incorporate it into the game. Because I'm lazy, and it's easier to add special rules than to change a miniature. :lol:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

robert4818
Heroic
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:10 pm

#15 Postby robert4818 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
Jordan Peacock wrote:* 1 normal pirate ... with a TREASURE CHEST on his shoulder. (Fighting with a bit of a handicap there.)

Jordan, you're overlooking a major opportunity here.
Make the chest into a weapon. :twisted:
Maybe he keeps flasks of alchemists fire / grenades in there. Maybe the severed heads of his enemies (that's a hell of an Intimidation bonus). Maybe the chest pulls his foes in and crushes them; into diamonds. Maybe it's a funny-looking weight on a chain and he uses it as a reach attack. Maybe it's the box holding his soul and he's Invincible! (fast regeneration) as long as he's within 1" of the chest.
The point is to incorporate it into the game. Because I'm lazy, and it's easier to add special rules than to change a miniature. :lol:


His point is that its not a good "Generic" pirate. You wouldn't want 5 of this guy on the table top to represent "Pirate Crew"
Aperture Science:

We do what we must, because we can.

User avatar
Jordan Peacock
Legendary
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

#16 Postby Jordan Peacock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:04 am

Hey, I love "Waster #1" that just got unlocked. I can imagine that the "teddy bear" could actually be a disguised improvised explosive device. (I am reminded of a disagreeable tactic one of my own players used in HoE where, whenever it came time to throw a grenade in a room full of Black Hats, etc., said explosive would usually be wrapped up in something random, such as a scavenged pair of pants, so it didn't immediately register as "GRENADE!" -- in the hopes of delaying reaction time.)

As for Waster #2, I note a very strong similarity to #50065 "Rex, Dark Future Hero" from the Reaper Chronoscope line.

Image

Image

This same mini was also in the new Reaper Bones Kickstarter as part of the core Chronoscope figure set, so it has quite a bit of exposure. At the very least, I would recommend a different pose.

Also, I'm really hoping sculptors will be indicated. At $6-$10 a pop, knowing the sculptor name might make me a little more willing to commit to add-ons.
Image

greyseerco
Seasoned
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:45 pm

#17 Postby greyseerco » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am

I will be curious to see what other "hand swaps" we shall see down the pipe. Good catch on Rex and Waster 2.

I was watching Rescuee #3
(Can't link to)

See how similar the profile looks to Rosie Chronotechnician
Image

Just a different wrench.

My main question is are these going metal or Bones-Plastic?

@$6/miniature I am thinking metal, but with each stretch goal being $5K they could make Bones molds and sell them for less.

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 20016
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#18 Postby Clint » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:55 am

greyseerco wrote:My main question is are these going metal or Bones-Plastic?

@$6/miniature I am thinking metal, but with each stretch goal being $5K they could make Bones molds and sell them for less.


They are metal. And sorry, but $5K is a fraction of what it would cost to make them as Bones and sell them for less. Reaper can pull it off for less as they are the direct manufacturer, using minis that have already been sculpted, and only doing minis that sell in huge quantities. None of that applies to us.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com

User avatar
Jordan Peacock
Legendary
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

#19 Postby Jordan Peacock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:41 pm

greyseerco wrote:I will be curious to see what other "hand swaps" we shall see down the pipe. Good catch on Rex and Waster 2.

I was watching Rescuee #3
(Can't link to)


Image

Image

To link the image, go to the Kickstarter and copy the image URL (an option I have when I right-click the image in Google Chrome), but take off the "?######" tag that gets stuck on the end, breaking off the file name at ".png" when you paste it into the image tag here.

I can't really tell much from the silhouette, but ... yeah, I can see some similarities, especially since I'm a bit sensitive to it after noticing the Rex lookalike.

Are these figures going to be modifications of existing Reaper Chronoscope models with slight swaps to equipment and/or pose?

Image

Image

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 20016
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#20 Postby Clint » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Jordan Peacock wrote:Are these figures going to be modifications of existing Reaper Chronoscope models with slight swaps to equipment and/or pose?


No, absolutely not. Honestly, "Rex" is clearly based on a classic post-apocalyptic hero, and our Waster is inspired by the same guy, only with a pistol and machete. A quick search on the web would likely find the pose they are both based on.

And female tech with goggles and a giant wrench...

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/h/heterody.htm

Yeah, our designer kind of won Hugos for that, so really another classic archetype.

As far as the last, the "action pose" may be similar, but theirs has guns and you know, hair. ;)
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com


Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests