Are grappled enemies easier to hit?

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ScruffyTheJanitor
Novice

Are grappled enemies easier to hit?

#1 Postby ScruffyTheJanitor » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 am

In last night's session my players were facing off against a vampire for the very first time (a Deadlands Nosferatu to be specific, but same difference). The posse was having a hard time making the called shot to the heart, so one character had the idea to grapple the vamp and hold it down to make it easier to hit for the other PCs. Except there's nothing in the rules for grappling that says a grappled character is easier to hit. This seemed counter-intuitive to me and I wanted to reward team-work and general good ideas, so I houseruled that characters attacking a grappled/entangled target get a +2 bonus to the attack roll.

I know official answers can't account for houserules. I was just wondering; is there something in the RAW that I overlooked that would've applied in this situation?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Are grappled enemies easier to hit?

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:22 am

ScruffyTheJanitor wrote:In last night's session my players were facing off against a vampire for the very first time (a Deadlands Nosferatu to be specific, but same difference). The posse was having a hard time making the called shot to the heart, so one character had the idea to grapple the vamp and hold it down to make it easier to hit for the other PCs. Except there's nothing in the rules for grappling that says a grappled character is easier to hit. This seemed counter-intuitive to me and I wanted to reward team-work and general good ideas, so I houseruled that characters attacking a grappled/entangled target get a +2 bonus to the attack roll.

I know official answers can't account for houserules. I was just wondering; is there something in the RAW that I overlooked that would've applied in this situation?

Well, the grappler counts for Gang Up adding at least a +1 bonus. Plus, a grappled character could be considered an Unarmed Defender as they can't really use a weapon to defend themselves, which would provide a +2 bonus... same as your ruling. :-D
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”