New to Savage Worlds

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

DangerMaus33
Novice

New to Savage Worlds

#1 Postby DangerMaus33 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:36 pm

I have been looking for examples of game play for Savage Worlds so that I can read them and become more familiar with how the system works. Does anyone know of anything like this?

-dm

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Text examples? Not that I'm aware of. There are a few in podcasts, especially on Smiling Jack's Bar and Grill, and The Game's The Thing.

The basic method is the same as for any other RPG:
Narrate things until the Game Master (GM) decides that a task is complicated or variable enough that the player needs to roll some dice.
The player rolls the relevant Trait die and a Wild Die, rolling any Aces, chooses the higher die, and applies any modifiers (bonuses or penalties). If this equals or exceeds the Target Number (TN) then the action succeeds - the TN is 4 for everything except Fighting attacks and Damage. Every 4 over the TN is a Raise, which is a Good Thing - raises often mean the task was more successful, faster, or simply more stylish.
Repeat until time expires or the prepared plot has been completed.

The only kink in the formula is modifiers. Normally that's bonuses from edges, circumstances, or equipment, and penalties from wounds, hindrances, fatigue, or circumstances. But most of those can be ignored by the GM until everyone is comfortable enough with the rules to add that back in.

I hope that helped some.
Welcome to the forums, and to Savage Worlds. If you've got more questions, please feel free to ask them.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

GreenTongue
Heroic

Re: New to Savage Worlds

#3 Postby GreenTongue » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:07 pm

DangerMaus33 wrote:I have been looking for examples of game play for Savage Worlds so that I can read them and become more familiar with how the system works. Does anyone know of anything like this?

-dm

These are old examples but may give a general idea.
http://home.earthlink.net/~djackson24/SWcombatX.htm
and
http://home.earthlink.net/~djackson24/SWnoncombatX.htm
=

Scott A. Woodard
Heroic

#4 Postby Scott A. Woodard » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:35 pm

You might also want to listen to some recorded sessions at:

RPGMP3.com

There are recordings of Rippers, Sundered Skies, Necessary Evil, and a few others and most include everything from character creation on up.
DAVROS: ‘Tar Lubek Ka’leed, Uth Ricta Dal’ek.’ Roughly translated, it means: ‘And on that day, men will become like gods.’ (I, DAVROS: GUILT written by Scott Alan Woodard http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/guilt-393)

Locke
Novice

#5 Postby Locke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Another place to check would be the Gamer's Haven Podcast. They have an 18-part actual play for Rippers that doesn't follow the plot points.
Josh Leavitt, Editor
PrepMyBook.com | Let's get you published

jeff
Veteran

#6 Postby jeff » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Welcome aboard!
The day mutant zombies rise in my town is the day I get to be a hero.

DangerMaus33
Novice

#7 Postby DangerMaus33 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks everyone. I will check these out and see if they help give me a better grasp on the game flow. Only so much you can do by reading and running sample encounters by yourself. :)

-dm

BrotherBen
Novice

#8 Postby BrotherBen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Similarly I am interested in finding out how much I can cover in a 3-4 hour session. How long does a fast, furious, and fun combat usually take?

farik
Seasoned

#9 Postby farik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 pm

BrotherBen wrote:Similarly I am interested in finding out how much I can cover in a 3-4 hour session. How long does a fast, furious, and fun combat usually take?

I would say if your combat runs a full hour then it was either very complicated and/or very difficult. When I ran Savage Starship Trooper combats with 10 Troopers (5 wildcards and 5 extras each player controlled 1 of each) and 36+ bugs it never took longer than 45 minutes and since then I've learned it should have been even faster but I was dealing too many initiative cards.

Redtwin
Seasoned

#10 Postby Redtwin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:34 am

One of my tests of the system for my first game was the PCs and about 18 NPC villagers fortifying a town against an invading horde of 30+ orcs with support. I wanted a big fight to see how well the system handled it.

It was resolved in under an hour, and we didn't really know what we were doing yet.

Side note: I had the players vote on the most heroic action each session, and the big hero got a bonus experience point. One of the PCs went down in that fight, and were rescued by a handful of villagers. The players unanimously voted for the villagers, so I made one of them into a Wild Card and he became part of the plot. :-)
"Anybody else feel like fishing for Rattlers?"
Said while dragging a size 12 giant worm down the highway behind my Hummer at full speed to kill it via road rash.

jcayer
Seasoned

#11 Postby jcayer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:42 pm

My group has recently started playing savage worlds and quickly moved to War of the Dead, a zombie apocalypse setting. I can't get over how much happens in our game sessions.

You can read about the first two game sessions here(shameless plug): http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37971

The first session ran about 3 hours. The second closer to 4.5 or 5.

I've found with my group, former 4E'rs, that they've been more interested in the RP/story part than actual combat.

Bavix
Seasoned

#12 Postby Bavix » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:45 am

I have a sci-fi convention game that I've ran several times now that has 10 encounters. This includes the introduction, a couple of investigations, space travel, 2 combats, some cross-country travel, a couple of environmental hazards, and a grand finale that's basically a Dramatic Task.

Each time I ran it was a little faster and smoother, until the last time when I had about 10 minutes left from a 4-hour con game.

Maine
Seasoned

#13 Postby Maine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:03 am

My only piece of advice as you learn the rules is - don't mess with the core rules until you have given it some actual play-through.

All too often, people who take an interest in Savage Worlds for the first time, find a piece of the core rules they don't like or aren't sure about, before they ever try it. The big two victims of such undeserved discrimination are Acing (Exploding Dice) and Bennies.

Don't mess with success - play the system as it was designed, and learn to understand it before you try to tweak it.

Kythkyn
Seasoned

#14 Postby Kythkyn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:47 am

Maine wrote:My only piece of advice as you learn the rules is - don't mess with the core rules until you have given it some actual play-through.

All too often, people who take an interest in Savage Worlds for the first time, find a piece of the core rules they don't like or aren't sure about, before they ever try it. The big two victims of such undeserved discrimination are Acing (Exploding Dice) and Bennies.

Don't mess with success - play the system as it was designed, and learn to understand it before you try to tweak it.

Bold added: That is great advice. Whenever I start running a new system I always run it RAW. I have learned to do so after many years of thinking that I need to change or tweak this or that first. (I actually thank Mutants and Masterminds for breaking me of that some years back.) Recently a gaming friend wanted to try DMing using SW, and he had some grand changed he wanted to make before running (and having only played the system like twice) but we talked him down. After the second session he thanked us for talking him out of it, because he finally understood some of the rules he was going to change and they made sense to him. So we felt pretty good about that, hehe.

On the topic of what to change initially, my group was already familiar with ideas like open rolls (Aces) and action points (Bennies) so no one batted a lash at those. (Actually, we were glad we didn't have to superimpose an action point rule onto the system like I had done with 3e D&D years and years ago.) The thing that my group was sceptical of was drawing cards for Initiative. But as I said, I like to run RAW when I first run, and after the second or so combat the players were having fun with this mechanic and decided against wanting to tinker with some sort of rolling mechanic.
♀♥♀

sablemage
Veteran

Re: New to Savage Worlds

#15 Postby sablemage » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 pm

DangerMaus33 wrote:I have been looking for examples of game play for Savage Worlds so that I can read them and become more familiar with how the system works. Does anyone know of anything like this?

-dm

Actually, that sounds like fun to do. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll throw something together. It'll also be a learning experience for me as people point out all my tactical mistakes! :)

sablemage
Veteran

#16 Postby sablemage » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:54 am

DangerMaus33, is thisthe kind of thing you were looking for?

Fellow Savages: If this is of interest, let me know and I'll do more - it was enjoyable. If I'm not using the rules correctly, please tell me!

Zadmar
Legendary

#17 Postby Zadmar » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:20 am

sablemage wrote:DangerMaus33, is thisthe kind of thing you were looking for?

Fellow Savages: If this is of interest, let me know and I'll do more - it was enjoyable. If I'm not using the rules correctly, please tell me!

Very cool example, although I've a few minor nitpicks.

On turn 1, there's no need to draw initiative cards, because the orcs failed their Notice rolls. The combat hasn't started yet, the humans are just aiming.

On turn 2, when the humans attack, the orcs would make another Notice roll to avoid Surprise (see here). If they succeed the Notice roll, they draw initiative cards, otherwise they don't act that turn. The humans begin the turn on hold, so unless the orcs draw a joker the humans will act first.

As the humans got The Drop, presumably the orcs failed their Notice rolls, therefore they wouldn't be able to act until turn 3. Furthermore, as the orcs were sat (Prone?) around the fire, and sufficiently unaware that the soldiers were able to get The Drop, I would have started them out with their weapons sheathed or on the ground nearby. This is exactly the sort of situation where Quick Draw comes in handy.

Finally, soldier #3 rolled 2d6 for his bow, inflicting 8 damage. Did that include the +4 from The Drop? I'd suggest mentioning it explicitly, as this is an example scenario.

Personally I'd have given the orcs light cover (or even no cover) from the archers, unless the folliage was so thick that the soldiers couldn't get a clear shot, but that's more of a GM's discretion thing.

sablemage
Veteran

#18 Postby sablemage » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks Zadmar! It's really useful to have someone comment like this.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”