Ritual Magic rules for fantasy campaigns

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

CyricPL
Novice

Ritual Magic rules for fantasy campaigns

#1 Postby CyricPL » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm mostly a lurker around here, so I hope I don't come off as a total tool here, but I wanted to share my house rules for rituals in my Savage Worlds Deluxe fantasy game, which I posted on my blog: http://ageofruins.wordpress.com/2012/10 ... -of-ruins/

Again, I hope I don't come off as too shameless, just thought some people might be interested in the ideas.

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

Re: Ritual Magic rules for fantasy campaigns

#2 Postby Kristian Serrano » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:42 pm

CyricPL wrote:I'm mostly a lurker around here, so I hope I don't come off as a total tool here, but I wanted to share my house rules for rituals in my Savage Worlds Deluxe fantasy game, which I posted on my blog: http://ageofruins.wordpress.com/2012/10 ... -of-ruins/

Again, I hope I don't come off as too shameless, just thought some people might be interested in the ideas.

Interesting take. I just use the Ritual rules in the Horror Companion minus the severe consequences for failure. The only consequences I consider are loss of time and resources and possibly more depending on circumstances (e.g., beat-the-clock scenarios, summoning an outsider, attempting to bind an outsider against its will).

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm always on the look out for some good Savage Rituals. So, thanks for sharing. :-D
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

CyricPL
Novice

#4 Postby CyricPL » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks guys! I actually haven't picked up the Horror Companion yet, even though I've been meaning to. Especially in light of the "magic is dangerous" vibe I have in my campaign, I should really prioritize that.

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#5 Postby Kristian Serrano » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 pm

CyricPL wrote:Thanks guys! I actually haven't picked up the Horror Companion yet, even though I've been meaning to. Especially in light of the "magic is dangerous" vibe I have in my campaign, I should really prioritize that.
You should definitely pick it up. It has quite a few new powers that are perfect for evil characters in a fantasy setting. I use it as a Fantasy Companion II: Book of Not-So-Vile Darkness. ;P

Lord Karick
Seasoned

#6 Postby Lord Karick » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:27 am

Like I posted on the blog I really like the feel of this. Keep it coming. Absolutely no reason to think this is below par - be proud of it!

I would also recommend Misfit Studio's Powers Grimoire: Places of Power.

Dracones
Seasoned

#7 Postby Dracones » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 am

I think the rules are fantastic as are the example rituals. I think using dramatic tasks for the ritual casting was a great idea and I like how you've defined out the ritual themselves with backfire results.

Is learning a new ritual the same as taking a new power edge?

GlassJaw
Seasoned

#8 Postby GlassJaw » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 am

Does Beasts & Barbarians have rules for ritual magic? I imagine it must, since that's a huge part of the Conan mythos.
Chris (aka GlassJaw)

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”