New and a quick question on Initiative

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
Altissimus
Novice
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:53 am

New and a quick question on Initiative

#1 Postby Altissimus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:55 am

Hey,

Just starting SW and I have a question on Initiative.

I understand that you get dealt a card for round one for Initiative, and you play on that order (unless there's a Joker about).

The rules don't actually say what happens after round one!

Do you:

a) use the same card again in round 2 and subsequent rounds?, or
b) take a new card for round two and each subsequent rounds?. or
c) only take a new card if a Joker came out in round 1?

Assuming (b), as this kinda makes more sense (and better explains how the Hold thing works), do you:

a) continue to deal (without shuffling) until a Joker turns up? Even into multiple combats (especially with a small number of players and both jokers at the bottom!)

b) Shuffle each new combat? And each time a Joker turns up (after that round is concluded, presumably)?

Thanks for your help!

A.

User avatar
Bavix
Seasoned
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

#2 Postby Bavix » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:02 am

Hey Altissimus,

The answer to the first question is B. Everyone discards after their turn and new cards are drawns at the beginning of the new round—unless someone is on Hold of course.

I don't think that the answer to the second question is as cut and dry, but most people do A. For example, I have a habit of shuffling the cards in my hands while I describe action or right before I start dealing. Also, it's a popular house rule to let the player with the least amount of Bennies shuffle the deck (when it's time) for a Benny.
Image

Altissimus
Novice
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:53 am

#3 Postby Altissimus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:17 am

Thanks Bavix.

That's a cheap bennie!

Somehow I'm not so sure my GM will be so generous....

User avatar
Lord Karick
Seasoned
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 am
Location: Landsberg, Germany

#4 Postby Lord Karick » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:17 am

The SW rules are notoriously compact and concise; generally, if it says do something, do it, if it doesn't say do something, you don't. I interpret the [shuffle on joker] in the same way. If it only says [shuffle on joker] and not [shuffle between encounters] then I only [shuffle on joker]. Of course, you're free to do as you wish, no-one is going to police how you roll, but that's how I understand the rules.

Altissimus
Novice
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:53 am

#5 Postby Altissimus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:31 am

Lord Karick wrote:The SW rules are notoriously compact and concise; generally, if it says do something, do it, if it doesn't say do something, you don't. I interpret the [shuffle on joker] in the same way. If it only says [shuffle on joker] and not [shuffle between encounters] then I only [shuffle on joker]. Of course, you're free to do as you wish, no-one is going to police how you roll, but that's how I understand the rules.


I agree with this - mostly. Unfortunately in this instance it's a little *too* concise - nowhere does it say what you actually do for round 2!! To have another card or not to have another card, that is the question - and the rulebook does not provide an answer!!

User avatar
Lord Karick
Seasoned
Posts: 454
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 am
Location: Landsberg, Germany

#6 Postby Lord Karick » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 am

Altissimus wrote:I agree with this - mostly. Unfortunately in this instance it's a little *too* concise - nowhere does it say what you actually do for round 2!! To have another card or not to have another card, that is the question - and the rulebook does not provide an answer!!

Sorry Altissimus, I was referring exclusively to the 'between encounters' question. Round 2 you take a new card from the deck. It's implied in the "after any round" bit. Maybe it was clearer in SW:EX, or maybe I picked it up in a play example somewhere, but that's the way it's generally done.
See also Maticore's interesting suggestion for initiative here.

User avatar
RPGperik
Novice
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Ye Nether Lands
Contact:

#7 Postby RPGperik » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:47 am

Do cards that have just been used get put back into the deck for the next round or does that only happen once a joker has been drawn?
RPGbericht (Dutch)

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 6490
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

#8 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:42 am

3rik wrote:Do cards that have just been used get put back into the deck for the next round or does that only happen once a joker has been drawn?

After the Joker.

The only times you put action cards back into the deck are when the Joker has been pulled and/or the deck has run out. (I had that happen. The jokers were two of the last three cards in the deck, and I needed four cards.)
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."


Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests