Who would be interested in an Apocalypse Companion?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Aki
Seasoned

Who would be interested in an Apocalypse Companion?

#1 Postby Aki » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 am

"Forget the 99%, the 1%, and the 47%. We are the 10% - that survived. Can you?"

My Fallout game and rules worked out pretty well, but I'd like to expand on it and I think the Apocalypse genre has enough room to make for a companion book like the Super Heroes, Fantasy, and Horror Companions. It has slight overlap with each of these (Zombies hordes being a staple even with the ghouls of Fallout).

My starting point would be taking the Fallout book and filing off the serial numbers so it's not a lawsuit sponge, then expanding the rules to deal with different end time and mutation scenarios.

Would there be an interest in such a book or is this something I should keep to myself?

Zadmar
Legendary

#2 Postby Zadmar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 am

The apocalpyse might be caused by zombies (WotD, World War Z, The Walking Dead), aliens (Independence Day, War of the Worlds, Vampire Earth), nuclear war (Fallout), disease (The Stand, I Am Legend, Daybreakers), magic (Rifts, Kate Daniels), the general collapse of society (Mad Max), or something else.

But regardless of the cause, the emphasis is usually on the human-based challenges. The zombies, aliens, etc, are typically handled as more of a background danger/challenge when compared to things like dwindling resources, rampaging biker gangs, local warlords, etc - not to mention the ever-present psychological dangers such as losing your sanity and/or humanity.

War of the Dead has a pretty cool and detailed storyline, but it wouldn't take a great deal of effort to replace the zombies with aliens, or triffids, or mutated monsters. When you really look at it, most of the adventures are about people, how they survive (or die), and how they react when they lose everything they once knew.

I think the theme could make a pretty good (and generic) companion. It would certainly include some crossover with other books, but there should be enough new content to make it worthwhile. My only concern is that it might end up being very similar to World of the Dead.

farik
Seasoned

#3 Postby farik » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:15 am

I'd want an apocalypse companion to consist of a wide spectrum of dials and options like the horror companion. I would want it to focus on things like travel, scavenging, and expanded rules on hostile environments. If done right I think it should just as easily be called "Survival Companion".

Virgobrown72
Heroic

#4 Postby Virgobrown72 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:29 pm

D20 Apocolypse book, and it works really well for post apocolyptic thingies!!! :-D It hits you off with different causes, post apocalyptic societies, tons of random tables for EVERYTHING, and even a few campaign ideas!!! A must for post apocolyptic gaming if you don't mind savaging a few things... :wink:
"That which does not kill me, makes me Shaken..."

K.G. Carlson
Novice

#5 Postby K.G. Carlson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:58 pm

You had me at Apocalypse :mrgreen:

Yes please!

VonDan
Legendary

#6 Postby VonDan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:11 pm

There are several on Savage Heroes you can look over, but I have only read the "Savage Apocalypse" by Reeves and that is a a good conversion of gamma world but can be used for other settings. I only see V1.1 on savage heroes now but I have a v2.0 (and now i see even the v1.1 is a dead link)

If Reeves is listing let us know whats up and ware and if you want v2.0 hosted

warrenss2
Heroic

#7 Postby warrenss2 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 pm

"Who would be interested in an Apocalypse Companion?"

ME!!!!
:blam:

Takeda
Heroic

#8 Postby Takeda » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:55 pm

I'd be interested for sure! :-D :-D :-D
Dean: "Ya' know she could be faking."
Sam: "Yeah, what do you wanna do, poke her with a stick?"
[Dean nods]
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes

Aki
Seasoned

#9 Postby Aki » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 am

I can see the cover, the girl that's on the cover of all the companion books, giving the pip-boy style thumbs up pose. Clothing would be suitably torn and battered.

TeknoMerk
Seasoned

#10 Postby TeknoMerk » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 am

I have the most current version of Savage Apocalypse (2.0) on savagepedia, since I have tried several times to contact the Savage Heroes owner to update my file there. That site seems like it's abandoned, since I receive no response and see no updates.

SA started as a conversion for Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World to Savage Worlds. Then it grew into more of a toolkit to create your own post-apocalypse setting. If anyone has suggestions for expanded sections, corrections, clarifications, then please let me know.

Have fun with SA! I am still hoping that Pinnacle will do a post-apocalypse companion, since there is more subject matter that could be covered...

David

Savage Apocalypse 2.0

Savage Apocalypse Hero Sheet
<> TeknoMerk <>

Creator of Savage Apocalypse

Kodyax
Veteran

#11 Postby Kodyax » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:40 pm

I'm someone who really likes print books and if this was available say as a print on demand book I would order myself a copy as soon as I could scrape the funds together. D20 Apocalypse was mentioned and it's a great mine for ideas, you just need D20 Future and D20 Modern to use it on its own. Related to this is the version of Gamma World from Arthaus which was published through White Wolf and was D20 Modern based.

The idea of making this a toolkit is worthwhile and I encourage this line of thinking. In some ways a GM like me already has some basic ideas of what they want and are just looking for some new ideas or some pre-fabricated toys to use in game.

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#12 Postby SeeleyOne » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Darwin's World was originally written for d20. It also has an official Savage Worlds version. Darwin's World has the Fallout style but has a larger scale (but from what I have seen published so far is still limited to what was once the United States).

I do not know how to make URLs look special (in that it is word as a hyperlink. Here is the link to the Savage Worlds version: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=bundle&b_id=42

One act of kindness by the RPG Objects store is that you can get bundles and it will not charge you for books that you might already have that is also part of a bundle. Their print prices are decent, too, especially if you already have the book in pdf. I wish that other companies would also do this.

I have all of the d20 stuff, but I have not played the SW version as of yet. Looking it over it looks playable. I am playing around with it a bit, making a sort of mash-up of Darwin's World, Deadlands Reloaded, and Vampire Earth. Granted it would not take much of the actual Deadlands setting, instead just using its technology level. And the "indians" would instead be mutants.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Cryonic
Heroic

#13 Postby Cryonic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Kodyax wrote:I'm someone who really likes print books and if this was available say as a print on demand book I would order myself a copy as soon as I could scrape the funds together. D20 Apocalypse was mentioned and it's a great mine for ideas, you just need D20 Future and D20 Modern to use it on its own. Related to this is the version of Gamma World from Arthaus which was published through White Wolf and was D20 Modern based.

The idea of making this a toolkit is worthwhile and I encourage this line of thinking. In some ways a GM like me already has some basic ideas of what they want and are just looking for some new ideas or some pre-fabricated toys to use in game.

If you're just wanting sources to mine for information (and not game stats) then look no further than SJG's GURPS. All those various sourcebooks are filled with tons of information just waiting to be used in any game system.

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#14 Postby SeeleyOne » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 pm

The Darwin's World gazeteer is free: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=product&p_id=29
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

blusponge
Heroic

#15 Postby blusponge » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Yes, please!
...and a Brace of Pistols
a blog dedicated to swashbuckling, horror and fantasy gaming

Kodyax
Veteran

#16 Postby Kodyax » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Cryonic wrote:
Kodyax wrote:I'm someone who really likes print books and if this was available say as a print on demand book I would order myself a copy as soon as I could scrape the funds together. D20 Apocalypse was mentioned and it's a great mine for ideas, you just need D20 Future and D20 Modern to use it on its own. Related to this is the version of Gamma World from Arthaus which was published through White Wolf and was D20 Modern based.

If you're just wanting sources to mine for information (and not game stats) then look no further than SJG's GURPS. All those various sourcebooks are filled with tons of information just waiting to be used in any game system.

I'd rather converted the d20 Modern of Gamma World thank you very much, I turn to Savage Worlds for all my sci-fi needs.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#17 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:49 pm

SeeleyOne wrote:The Darwin's World gazeteer is free: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=product&p_id=29

Becomes:
The Darwin's World Gazeteer is free.

Just quote and see how I structured it. :-D

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#18 Postby SeeleyOne » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks Valhalla, it is all the ] between the url and title. I used to know how to do that before but it had been a few years since I had tried it.

jeff
Veteran

#19 Postby jeff » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 pm

I'd take one now please!
The day mutant zombies rise in my town is the day I get to be a hero.

Cryonic
Heroic

#20 Postby Cryonic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Kodyax wrote:
Cryonic wrote:

I'd rather converted the d20 Modern of Gamma World thank you very much, I turn to Savage Worlds for all my sci-fi needs.

not sure I understand this response...

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”