This may seem like a silly question, but...

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

tonyngc
Novice

This may seem like a silly question, but...

#1 Postby tonyngc » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:56 am

What is a shotgun thong? Searches for such an item lead to some bizarre results. :-D
And certain parts of the player's guide talk about a blessed's power points, but I thought they didn't get any.

zipothethird
Novice

#2 Postby zipothethird » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:27 pm

a shotgun thong is a holster for a shot gun, some game with holds for buck shots, if you've played Red Dead Redemption the holster on Marston's back is similar to what a shot gun thong was, though most people simply carried Shotgun Thongs/Rifle Holsters on their horses saddles if it came to a point where people needed to carry a Shotgun on their person they carried it in their hands, most likely then not they were going to need it.

and what version of Deadlands are you playing, I'm not a huge expert on the mechanics of Classic but I know in Reloaded Blessed do not have power points.

tonyngc
Novice

#3 Postby tonyngc » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Playing DLR.

VonDan
Legendary

#4 Postby VonDan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:27 pm

It is not a holster or boot for the shotgun but the strap or sling and often with a loops or pouches for the shells

I have made them but every one in the Pacific North West called them a shotgun sling. Might have been an old west and southern term as thong used to mean a thin leather strap

I did find an image right off for shotgun thong

http://www.colourbox.com/image/image-18 ... 2365066-12

Google Shotgun Sling to see hundreds more

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:25 am

VD is correct. Zippo is referring to the Rifle Boot. A rifle boot was strapped to the side of a saddle for transportation (and availability) while riding.
The concept is still in use in modern times.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

VonDan
Legendary

#6 Postby VonDan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:38 am

ValhallaGH wrote:VD is correct. Zippo is referring to the Rifle Boot. A rifle boot was strapped to the side of a saddle for transportation (and availability) while riding.
The concept is still in use in modern times.

I make those to for horses, jeeps, motorbikes and to wear on the back

Jounichi
Legendary

#7 Postby Jounichi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:43 am

I prefer the thong. Something about a piece of leather holding your weapon at your side just feels right.

tonyngc
Novice

#8 Postby tonyngc » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:26 am

I've seen shotgun holsters and scabbards while I was in SASS. As far as I recall, we didn't call the cartridge or shell holders thongs. We just called them cartridge belts or bandoliers. Usually you could get around 12-20 shotshells into one. There were also combination belts for pistol rounds and shotshells.

VonDan
Legendary

#9 Postby VonDan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:59 am

tonyngc wrote:I've seen shotgun holsters and scabbards while I was in SASS. As far as I recall, we didn't call the cartridge or shell holders thongs. We just called them cartridge belts or bandoliers. Usually you could get around 12-20 shotshells into one. There were also combination belts for pistol rounds and shotshells.

The shotgun thong was not the Holster/Boot/Scabbard or the Belt/Bandoliers as far as I can tell it is an old term for a shotgun sling the strap the attached to the shotgun it's self to carry it on your back. In the most basic form just a leather strap but shell loops or pouches can be added like the image i linked above

marshal kt
Legendary

#10 Postby marshal kt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:43 pm

tonyngc wrote:I've seen shotgun holsters and scabbards while I was in SASS. As far as I recall, we didn't call the cartridge or shell holders thongs. We just called them cartridge belts or bandoliers. Usually you could get around 12-20 shotshells into one. There were also combination belts for pistol rounds and shotshells.

Those aren't thongs. Thongs are just simple belts or cords to hold a shotgun.
Cartridge belts and bandoliers are completely different.

The wife and I are current SASS members, but with the cost of shoots, gas to get to the shoots, ammo increasing; we haven't been able to participate for the past year.
"I'm Hotep"

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”