[Classic] Looking for help with my junker medic.

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Warior4356
Novice

[Classic] Looking for help with my junker medic.

#1 Postby Warior4356 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:43 pm

I am a rather new player so I am asking so dumb questions most likily.

So I am trying to finish my charecter for a deadlands game I am joining.

After stumbling across the cybernetics in iron oasis, I wanted to make a charecter based around that. So my concept is a junker doctor that does cyber ware and has a bunch of their own. Soul tap, and both arms, with power packs and plugs in the arms for power storage.

The thing I was unsure about was, what powers/tool tricks would I want? Also what aptitudes would be good for a junker doctor?

For my one item I was going to take a flash gordon rifle. Plug it into my arm and shoot for days. I was going to take bio medical, flash gordon, and sensor for a familiar.

Aptitudes wise, I took shootin, tinkering, medical, dodge, guts, scavaging, occult, and occult engineering. Is there anything I missed that would be useful?

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

Re: [Classic] Looking for help with my junker medic.

#2 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:50 am

Junkers and cyborgs tend to put people off a touch, so some sort of social skill or trick to make people find him a little less frightening might help. Purdy, the voice (soothing), renown might help you with that fear of junkers thing.

As for a twist, maybe get the junker power "Brace" could be used medically, say to hold a bleeding wound shut while your doc sews it up or reaches for a medical tool to use it, or to aid with splinting a broken bone. Likewise the light power might help him see when he was working inside someone's guts. The tool power could let him create some simple medical to0ols like scalpels and such from nearby parts. In various circumstances a good Marshall might let any of these add to your chance of success.

a computer browser spirit could help you look up medical data on diseases, conditions, etc.

Jack_Spade
Novice

Re: [Classic] Looking for help with my junker medic.

#3 Postby Jack_Spade » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:17 am

Warior4356 wrote:The thing I was unsure about was, what powers/tool tricks would I want? Also what aptitudes would be good for a junker doctor?

Aptitudes wise, I took shootin, tinkering, medical, dodge, guts, scavaging, occult, and occult engineering. Is there anything I missed that would be useful?

For powers, you will want Biomechanics (obviously). If you want to build better cyber limbs, you may want the Agility, Reflexes, and Super Strength powers (though these are space intensive). You may also want the Armour power to armour up these limbs naturally rather than as a modular component (this typically allows for a higher level of armour). As well, if you want to power these things, you might want to learn the Spirit Trap power, as I think it might be a requirement for building Soul Taps (though I am not 100% on that).

As for tool tricks, as a surgeon, you might want to take the Spit & Polish power, as the on-set of infection is typically high.

Additionally, you need to buy two additional concentrations for your medicine skill, as you must start with General before you can take Surgery, and installing cybernetics requires Medicine: Cybernetics.

It's already been mentioned, but it's worth repeating: a Computer Browser is invaluable for a Cyber Doc.

Finally, you might want to take the Healing power, as this can cover a lot of gaps a regular surgeon or even other forms of supernatural healing can't cover. Healing devices work quicker than any other form of healing out there (much quicker), and all of the temporary healing devices are reasonably portable. It is an energy-intensive power though, but one thing my own cyber-doc does is while out of combat, I am constantly charging batteries with my own soul tap, or scavenging for them and/or ghost rock to make power packs and battery packs. What I will do is supplement the drain of one of these healing devices with the energy supplied by my soul tap. I also lug around a reusable Light (wound) Healing device to help staunch lesser wounds and stop blood-loss in critical situations.

I have a cyber-doc with a very similar set-up as yours; I had a soul tap installed, and I ended up losing a literal arm and a leg to a mine in one adventure, so now I have a cyber arm and leg with power plugs and all that good stuff.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”