Just to clear up something on junkers...(HOE classic)

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Dr. Schwartzwald
Novice

Just to clear up something on junkers...(HOE classic)

#1 Postby Dr. Schwartzwald » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:59 am

Ok In The Junkman cometh it said junkers make money making and selling ammo. There are a couple junker powers that can seemingly make normal stuff, like on pg 70 it says a junker can make conventional ammo. My question is if a junker makes conventional ammo is it just regular ammo that doesn't have to roll for stability but has no "junker magic" abilities? I mean as is who's going to buy ammo that pretty soon (in a few months or so) fail a weekly stability roll and disappear, explode, open a portal to the hunting grounds, etc? Seriously, who is go0ing to buy and tote around stuff that can let him down or worse every week even if just stored for later?

So if a junker makes conventional ammo is it stable? If not I don;t know why people would buy it unless they needed to use it very quiuckly, and ammo you can't store for weeks, months, etc would be worth less than normal ammo Id imagine.

Same for slugs, if I junker makes slugs for video or data storage are they conventional and stable? Again, no one wants to store data on a slug and load it into a computer or other device if its gonna go BOOM sooner or later.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Just to clear up something on junkers...(HOE classic)

#2 Postby Clint » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:01 pm

I'd say in a literal Hell on Earth, the ability to make those items at all would give the Junker a ready source of customers. Not to mention the ability to make 30 bullets in less than an hour from some tin cans and an old bottle of Windex.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Jack_Spade
Novice

#3 Postby Jack_Spade » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:44 am

Dr. Schwartzwald wrote:Ok In The Junkman cometh it said junkers make money making and selling ammo. There are a couple junker powers that can seemingly make normal stuff, like on pg 70 it says a junker can make conventional ammo. My question is if a junker makes conventional ammo is it just regular ammo that doesn't have to roll for stability but has no "junker magic" abilities? I mean as is who's going to buy ammo that pretty soon (in a few months or so) fail a weekly stability roll and disappear, explode, open a portal to the hunting grounds, etc? Seriously, who is go0ing to buy and tote around stuff that can let him down or worse every week even if just stored for later?

So if a junker makes conventional ammo is it stable? If not I don;t know why people would buy it unless they needed to use it very quiuckly, and ammo you can't store for weeks, months, etc would be worth less than normal ammo Id imagine.

Same for slugs, if I junker makes slugs for video or data storage are they conventional and stable? Again, no one wants to store data on a slug and load it into a computer or other device if its gonna go BOOM sooner or later.

Junker-made ammo still requires a stability check. It is just that they can make "conventional ammo" sizes that fit in and work with conventional lead-belchers.

As for who will buy this ammo; you can make it for cheaper than the cost of "normal" rounds, and you also have the commanding end of supply and demand, wherein a town that is expecting trouble soon may quick-buy the ammo you whip up because options are limited. if you think about it, a week in Hell on Earth is a very long time, and that ammo may not even have to make that second check before it's spent.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#4 Postby Phasma Felis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:17 am

I figured you'd make it in magazine-sized batches. That way when it goes all wibbly, you don't lose all your ammo, just slap in another mag.

But yeah, junker stability can be a real problem occasionally. Like the rules for junker-built cybernetic organs in the Iron Oasis book--I love the concept, but you'd be dead in a week.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”