Savage Worlds Showcase

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

redstarronin
Novice

Savage Worlds Showcase

#1 Postby redstarronin » Sun May 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Hey everyone. I am planning on running a savage worlds mini-adventure at a local convention for FREE RPG DAY in a few weeks. I would like to show people, locally, why we all love this system and hopefully get a few people to try it for themselves.

That being said, is there a particular setting, one-sheet, or savage tale that showcases the many benefits of the savage worlds setting to newcomers? I was hoping that there might be some sort of promo-pack adventure that would include a relatively short game, but have tons of the different pieces of the savage worlds setting. Is there something like this available? Or am I going to have to create my own?

Also....while I have been running various RPG's for the past 15 years, I am completely new to conventions and running something at a convention. Are there any tips/advice that any of you convention veterans can give?

Thanks

Virgobrown72
Heroic

#2 Postby Virgobrown72 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Pre Gen Characters. Have them, and have a variety of them.

Know your Adventure backwards and forwards.

Multiple copies of your materials. An unfortunate soda spill can destroy a session!!!

When players want to do stuff, don't say no. Let them attempt it, even if it's crazy.

Plenty of rest, and hydrate.

Have fun!!! :wink:
"That which does not kill me, makes me Shaken..."

HawaiianBrian
Veteran

#3 Postby HawaiianBrian » Mon May 20, 2013 2:42 am

I have asked a similar question on the boards before. At the moment all I know about are the one-sheets available for download and the "Wild Hunt" game that is packaged with the quick start (which was the Free RPG Game Day adventure a couple of years ago). They are all fine adventures but either didn't tickle my interest as a GM or didn't cover enough of what Savage Worlds can do.

I'll also be running a Savage Worlds game at our local (Portland, OR) FLGS for free RPG day. At the moment I plan to just run a fantasy adventure of mine, probably in the Beasts & Barbarians setting. People around here suggest not doing fantasy as people's first introduction to Savage Worlds (because they are bound to try and force it to behave like D&D and then get frustrated when that doesn't happen) but fantasy has the added benefit of being a universal shorthand which doesn't need extensive setting explanations for noobs -- just sit down, pick a character, and play.
***** HawaiianBrian / getsavaged.blogspot.com *****

ogbendog
Legendary

#4 Postby ogbendog » Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 pm

I would think an adventure that doesn't require a lot of backstory. Fantasy usually works because most people know the tropes, but there are other options if you want to avoid fantasy.

A modern mundane setting
A modern monster hunting / fantasy type setting
A star wars or etc homage / rip - off
A setting that can be easily described "It's a western, but there are monsters and mystical powers!" "It's WWI, with magic and the Red Baron rides a dragon!"

Lawngnome4hire
Seasoned

#5 Postby Lawngnome4hire » Mon May 20, 2013 4:13 pm

I'd like something like this also. I've been talking up Savage Worlds to my group since I discovered it a couple months ago. Would be nice to have a one shot adventure that shows off what the system can really do.

ogbendog
Legendary

#6 Postby ogbendog » Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm

My first campaign was a fantasy, but I did one with the characters in the Army. They had a platoon of 40 guys.

I wanted to show off the ease of running large fights.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”