Weird Science always fails on a one

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

nareau
Novice

Weird Science always fails on a one

#1 Postby nareau » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 am

As near as I can tell, Weird Science is the only arcane background that always fails when the casting die turns up a 1. The others may have nasty side-effects, but if your wild-die rolls a 4, at least the power succeeds. Am I reading that right? What was the thinking that went into this design decision? Would it be game-breaking to let the Weird Science effect occur if the casting die is a 1, but the wild die is a 4?

Maine
Seasoned

Re: Weird Science always fails on a one

#2 Postby Maine » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:50 pm

It probably has to do with the fact that Weird Science items can be shared, can use a common skill rather than a special AB-specific skill, and each power taken increases the total available PP. I.e, if you have have one power and 10 PP, you create one device with 10 PP. You then take a 2nd power, you now have 2 devices with 10 PP each. Take a 3rd power, that's 3 devices with 10 PP each. These devices can be used personally and/or shared with the group.

Compare to AB: Magic, where the same 3 powers share the 10 PP pool, require you to invest in an additional skill, and cannot be lent to other characters.

With Weird Science the device simply breaks and ceases to function until repaired.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”