Good Boomtown and Ghost Town Names

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Good Boomtown and Ghost Town Names

#1 Postby Clash957 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:40 pm

I have a couple of good Deadlands Boomtown names that might be able to be of some quick adventure idea hooks.

Thirsty Earth--A farming and Ranching town one of the southern states like Arizona. Any water, or blood, is near instantly absorbed into the dusty ground.

Dry Rot--A lumber and mining town that just can't keep itself repaired giving visitor's the impression of a ghost town. Fact is the wood they harvest is inhabited by spirit termites summoned for a past misdeed of the town's leadership.

Anyone have other Boomtown names or adventure hooks?
Playing: Nothing
Running: Looking to start a Savage Worlds game via Google+/Roll20.

#2 Postby jpk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:24 pm

Coogan's Bluff, the paradise town of the West, waiting for any settler who's read the ad to come make their fortune in one of a thousand ways, where the streets are paved in ghost rock, the flowers drip honey for the taking, and the weather is always beautiful.

I mean, that's what the ad says. In fact, there is no town at all. Take the trail to Coogan's Bluff and you'll only end meeting the soon-to-be-infamous Bandit Leader Coogan. Don't worry about his poor manners, though, since you'll be in the mass grave with the other settlers/victims soon.

Maybe you need to go find some lost settlers. Maybe you need to investigate the ravings of an escapee. Maybe you're hoping to find the missing Coogan for some reward. Maybe you just need to try to survive a tide of very angry undead lead by a charismatic zombie wearing Coogan's skin. Maybe you just fall for advertising far too easily.

The Stray

#3 Postby The Stray » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Lonesome Vally--Which actually was a town in 1800's Arizona, the name just screams potential ghost town.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

#4 Postby VonDan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:09 pm

A customer of mine spends several months of the year in a native village in Panama called "Playa de Muertos" which translates as Beach of the dead, named after a wrecked Spanish ship and the bodies that washed up there.

And I see there are also similar named beaches in Mexico and the Caribbean

#5 Postby StJason » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58 am

In our group, any small railroad town became Clarkston. That made it easy to remember. Why? Because...

" take the last train to Clarkston,
And I'll meet you at the station,
You better leave by 5:30,
'cause I've made our reservation..."

#6 Postby Edgeworth » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:57 am

Rock Falls. A mining town where they have mined so deep and wide that they use what's left of the site as a roof for the whole town.

IIII/ ///////////////////

Like this.

#7 Postby otherdoc » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:35 pm

I once named a town "Desperation." If I recall correctly, they were experiencing a drought with mysterious causes.
My Blog: Jim - Yes, THAT Jim
My Setting Creation Podcast: Crucible of Realms
My RPG Podcast: The Great Debate!

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”