[NE] Abilities Vs. Invisibility

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Phemeto
Novice

[NE] Abilities Vs. Invisibility

#1 Postby Phemeto » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:54 am

Hey there, i have a quick question if thats not too much trouble; i looked all over the forums and can't seem to find an answers.

Okay so im playing a mental mastermind with Mind Control, Telekinesis, Telepathy, Mind Reading, etc...

Now one of the other characters has invisibility + Telepathy, and i know invisibility gives a -6 to attacks against it without making a proper notice check.

my question would be, does Mind Control count as an "attack" and should it even require sight on the target? especially if i can communicate to it with telepathy. Or would it function as like a gun shot to the target, where i'd need to notice first or take the -6?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [NE] Abilities Vs. Invisibility

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 am

Phemeto wrote:Okay so im playing a mental mastermind with Mind Control, Telekinesis, Telepathy, Mind Reading, etc...

Now one of the other characters has invisibility + Telepathy, and i know invisibility gives a -6 to attacks against it without making a proper notice check.

my question would be, does Mind Control count as an "attack" and should it even require sight on the target? especially if i can communicate to it with telepathy. Or would it function as like a gun shot to the target, where i'd need to notice first or take the -6?

Well, first off, the trappings of the powers (specifically Invisibility) can affect this answer, so the decision is up to the GM based on those factors.

Otherwise, while you can affect any mind within 12", the character does need to know that they mind is there within the 12".

Telepathy doesn't provide a sense of range inherently (the character is just as "loud" beside you as a mile away). It should be noted that Telepathy is specifically limited by sight. So while the invisible character can contact you easily with his telepathy, you would have to make a Smarts roll to contact him with your own power.

Ultimately (again barring trappings), telepathy is kind of a null effect on whether Mind Control could be used unless it's used to ask if the person is within range (and they would reply truthfully). Although it could affect the roll since maintaining Telepathy does inflict a -2 on other rolls.

Short version: Barring trappings, you'd likely have to make a Notice roll at -4 and if successful, a normal Mind Control roll, but final decision is up to the GM.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”