Expended Sword Fighting Rules

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

wyrdhamster
Novice

Expended Sword Fighting Rules

#1 Postby wyrdhamster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 am

So my older brother want to join our Deadlands game with Japan samurai character. I find it interesting so we try to make character, but in DLR are only extra rules and Edges for the kung-fu characters, not katana wielders. We got idea that character would use Arcane Backgorund(Chi) for "special effects" if brother would decid it, but we would love to see some better rules and Edges for sword fighting, especially katana style.

Virgobrown72
Heroic

#2 Postby Virgobrown72 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:13 pm

I dont recall any swoed fighting edges accept in either 50Fathoms or Pirates of the Spanish main, i forget which, and I believe they are more like schools of sword fighting. What exactly are you looking for?
"That which does not kill me, makes me Shaken..."

wyrdhamster
Novice

#3 Postby wyrdhamster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Some cool katana manuvers/cuts. :wink: Really, something like Edge tree, like the "Kung-Fu Adept" and "Kung-Fu Master" in Deadlands: Reloaded. Or like the things you got in Legend of Five Rings, only smaller and Savaged, of course. :cool:
Last edited by wyrdhamster on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ringer
Novice

#4 Postby Ringer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:38 pm

for cool sword edges, check out iron dynasty by reality blurs. i think it will have what you are looking for.

Clint
Site Admin

#5 Postby Clint » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:56 pm

wyrdhamster wrote:Some cool katana manuvers/cuts. :wink: Really, something like Edge tree, like the "Kung-Fu Adept" and "Kung-Fu Master" in Deadlands: Reloaded.

Not exactly sure what those Edges are actually supposed to be since I don't recall any with those names, but why not simply use the existing Edges in Deadlands and switch out "when unarmed" for "when using katana."

Most of them would work the same. The only exceptions would be ones that increase unarmed damage, and those could be switched out for "adds AP2" or "increases katana damage one die type."

And I'm sure it's obvious, but use the katana damage from Reloaded (listed under an NPC in the Marshal book) not the core rulebook.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Gammon23
Novice

#6 Postby Gammon23 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Perhaps you should look into Iron Dynasty for ideas.

kronovan
Heroic

#7 Postby kronovan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:15 pm

I'll ditto a few others here in recommending Iron Dynasty. It's gives you the edges Power Moves, Signature Moves, Weapon Focus, Lunge, Nimble Strike, Ninja Strike, Ni-Ten and Scabbard Block to name just some a few. Definitely worth investing in if you want great fighting styles for a Katana wielder.

Gammon23
Novice

#8 Postby Gammon23 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Also All for One Regime Diabolique has extensive rules for different schools of fencing.

Captain_Sabatini
Novice

#9 Postby Captain_Sabatini » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Virgobrown72 wrote:I dont recall any swoed fighting edges accept in either 50Fathoms or Pirates of the Spanish main, i forget which, and I believe they are more like schools of sword fighting. What exactly are you looking for?

If you are sure it is one of those then it must be PotSM. I only know of two fencing schools in 50F and both of those you buy with gold, not an advance. And I think I heard something about sword fighting schools in PotSM. I want those to run in a 50F game but I don't have enough spare cash just lying around to buy that book just to take that one bit out.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#10 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Captain_Sabatini wrote:And I think I heard something about sword fighting schools in PotSM. I want those to run in a 50F game but I don't have enough spare cash just lying around to buy that book just to take that one bit out.

There's a freebie one in the PEG downloads for PotSM, which gives you a good idea of how they work. Link
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”