Can I play Showdown with only the SW core rules?

Discuss skirmish games and the Troop Builder here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Armandrik
Novice

Can I play Showdown with only the SW core rules?

#1 Postby Armandrik » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:08 pm

It must be a stupid question but I have to ask since I'm new to SW rpg and SHowdown. Could I use the SW rpg character creation system and play a showdown game?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:41 pm

More or less. But why? The Showdown rules are free. At the low price of nothing, you get a whole lot of something to play with.

Link, in case you hadn't found it (it took me some months to find the danged thing, and I hope I'm not the only one): http://www.peginc.com/shop/savage-worlds-showdown/
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Armandrik
Novice

#3 Postby Armandrik » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Thank for the link. I just noticed that their is some things that is in the SHOWDOWN rule that doesn't fit right ... like no STEALTH (but the woodsman Edge ... or the WIzard edge but no cost in the spellcasting or the POWER SURGE where their is no POWER POINT). I'm new to the system..so It must be me ...I must interprete wrongly the rules ...That'S why I need help...:-)

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 am

The Showdown rules modify some of those edges (Power Surge works very differently in Showdown).
Stealth is a Scenario rule, and Woodsman is very useful in those Scenarios; in other scenarios it is pretty useless.
Wizard is ... useless, and I'm not sure why it's listed. Probably a carry-over from something earlier, and has never been corrected.

Quick and Dirty Stealth rules (that I just made up):
If a unit is in Stealth then any enemy unit that gets within 12" can make a Smarts roll to detect them. These rolls take a penalty equal to the hidden unit's Stealth Bonuses. Success detects the enemy presence, a raise allows them to relay that information to their entire army (ending the Stealth).
Units can only enter Stealth during the set-up for a battle.
Units attacking from Stealth get a +4 to their attack and damage rolls.

Good luck! And have fun!
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW Showdown”