Starting Characters at Seasoned+

Discussion of products from third-party companies licensed to produce SW products. Company specific threads should be marked with their name in brackets.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

sablemage
Veteran

Starting Characters at Seasoned+

#1 Postby sablemage » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Hello licensees... I have a question.

Why do so many settings start PCs at Seasoned Rank (or higher), or with several advances beyond Novice, please??

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just curious about the reasoning.

Thanks in advance...

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Starting Characters at Seasoned+

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:03 pm

sablemage wrote:Hello licensees... I have a question.

Why do so many settings start PCs at Seasoned Rank (or higher), or with several advances beyond Novice, please??

So many? I can only think of a handful that go up to Seasoned much less any starting past Seasoned/several advances beyond Novice (since there are only a few advances within Novice, "several" would seem to indicate well past Seasoned too).

Have I missed something in a bunch of recent settings?
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

kronovan
Heroic

#3 Postby kronovan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 pm

I own 10 Savage Worlds settings and only 3 of those -Beasts & Barbarians, Legends of Steel, Thrilling Tales- propose starting PC's at Seasoned rank. Tour of Darkness and Weird Wars II have provisions for it, but in both of those it's a 20 experience point debt that has to be payed back.

I think the answer to why some have PC's starting out at seasoned rank, might be addressed in the types of settings given above. Both Beasts and Barbarians and Legends of Steel are Sword & Sorcery settings - a Fantasy genre without any player races and their unique racial abilites to differentiate PC's. That means that the differentiation has to be achieved through character quirks (hindrances) and truly exceptional abilities (skills and edges), which is easier to do if PC's have an additional 4 advances worth of points to spend from the start. That said I ran campaigns for both of those settings with PC's starting at Novice rank, which was very challenging, but also very satisfying for the players.

Thrilling Tales is quite true to 30's pulp without any arcane backgrounds, relatively low-tech and an environment in which extra foes (mooks) are really supposed to fall like flies when confronted by the stellar abilities of PC's. Its much easier to achieve that when you start your PC's as Seasoned. In fact that setting has a team-play option in which 1 PC starts at Heroic or even Legendary rank. :eek: The more capable PC's work because traditional pulp is an action-heavy genre where your PC's are always going to have waves of mooks coming at them as well as some truly formidable masterminds and king pins. ;)

Wiggy
Legendary

#4 Postby Wiggy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:41 am

In terms of adventures-only settings (i.e. no setting book), DTA, DTSL, and I think DTSP start at Seasoned. All for the reasons Kronovan gives for Thrilling Tales -- we wanted to throw mooks around from the start.
Wiggy
Creative Director Triple Ace Games

sablemage
Veteran

#5 Postby sablemage » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks for the insights, guys - perhaps my sample is biased, 3 of the 8 settings I have start PCs off above Novice. :)

NOESKANE
Seasoned

#6 Postby NOESKANE » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:20 am

Hiyas!

I'm almost 100% certain that Totems of the Dead by Gun Metal Games makes sure all PCs start at Seasoned Rank.

HtH
NEK

Return to “SW Licensees”