Timeline Questions

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

blackmyron
Novice

Timeline Questions

#1 Postby blackmyron » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:24 am

Is there any specific date for Bloody Sunday or the Edict of '77? I haven't seen anything other than late 1876 for the former and it being implied early 1877 for the latter.

Also, the Epitaph's guide to the Clover Mesa puts the Battle of Los Angeles in September - I had thought "The Flood" establishes it as happening in December?

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#2 Postby Cutter XXIII » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:54 am

Someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on the first question, but as to the second: yup, it should be December. That was my mistake.

Crud. Got the wrong "ember." :|
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

The Stray
Seasoned

#3 Postby The Stray » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Bloody Sunday occurred in Heart o' Darkness, the second chapter in the Devil's Tower trilogy of adventures. There's no set date for when these adventures occur other than "sometime in '76." Since it happened during one of Grimme's Sunday feast services, you can probably assume it was on a Sunday, but that's the only clue to date we get from the material itself.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

blackmyron
Novice

#4 Postby blackmyron » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Cutter XXIII wrote:Someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on the first question, but as to the second: yup, it should be December. That was my mistake.

Crud. Got the wrong "ember." :|
Okay, thanks for the information!

The Stray wrote:Bloody Sunday occurred in Heart o' Darkness, the second chapter in the Devil's Tower trilogy of adventures. There's no set date for when these adventures occur other than "sometime in '76." Since it happened during one of Grimme's Sunday feast services, you can probably assume it was on a Sunday, but that's the only clue to date we get from the material itself.
Well, shoot - I was hoping we got something more specific at some point for Bloody Sunday... I mean, we didn't even get the date of the Great Quake until "The Flood"!
Mainly I'm curious as to how it related to the November Offensives - early Nov 1876 was a very busy time in North America, and I wonder if the incident happened before, after or during...

The Stray
Seasoned

#5 Postby The Stray » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Thus far there hasn't been, no. Bloody Sunday could have happened at any time after the Battle of Cauldron (which ended October of '76) and "a couple months prior to" the printing of The Tombstone Epitaph's 1877 Update (printed sometime after January 15th, 1877, according to the dates listed in Tales o' Terror and that book's own internal references). Thus, it happened sometime in October or November of '76, and that's about as far as I can narrow it down. Sadly, the last Sunday in October was the 29th, so it didn't fall on a Halloween, but it could have fallen on Guy Fawkes Day (November 5th).

We can safely assume that the Edict of '77 didn't happen until February at the earliest, more likely in March (Given that there's no mention of it in the '77 update, but gets lots of talk in "Agency Special Report #187: The City of Lost Angels", aka Lost Angels). Report #187 was the last report on the City of Lost Angels before the newly-formed Agency bugged out of the city in the wake of the Edict. Between Bloody Sunday and The Edict, Grimme sent out "missionaries" and started attacking the rail heads of the various railroads. Grimme used the Battle of Helltown (a Union Blue railhead) as the pretext for issuing his Edict.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”