Frenzy/Rapid Attack vs Counterattack

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Zadmar
Legendary

Frenzy/Rapid Attack vs Counterattack

#1 Postby Zadmar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:53 am

I did search to see if this had been asked before, but if so I couldn't find it. Thanks in advance for your help!

If someone uses Frenzy or Rapid Attack against an opponent with Counterattack, do they trigger a Counterattack if all of their attacks miss, or if one attack misses?

Example: I've got Fighting d10, and a +2 Gang Up bonus from my allies, so I decide to use Wild Attack and Rapid Attack giving me a total attack modifier of +0. I roll 3d10 and a d6 Wild Die, giving me 9, 4, 3 and 1. My opponent has Parry 5, so I only hit with one of my attacks. Does my opponent get a Counterattack because the other two attacks missed?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Frenzy/Rapid Attack vs Counterattack

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:14 am

Zadmar wrote:I did search to see if this had been asked before, but if so I couldn't find it. Thanks in advance for your help!

If someone uses Frenzy or Rapid Attack against an opponent with Counterattack, do they trigger a Counterattack if all of their attacks miss, or if one attack misses?

Example: I've got Fighting d10, and a +2 Gang Up bonus from my allies, so I decide to use Wild Attack and Rapid Attack giving me a total attack modifier of +0. I roll 3d10 and a d6 Wild Die, giving me 9, 4, 3 and 1. My opponent has Parry 5, so I only hit with one of my attacks. Does my opponent get a Counterattack because the other two attacks missed?

Possibly. First the opponent would get a free attack because a "Fighting attack" missed. It doesn't matter if it was part of multiple attacks as a single action; a Fighting attack missed, so the Counterattack can occur.

However, a target only gets a Counterattack if not Shaken, and since all of those attacks occur on the same action, the one that did hit would be resolved before the Counterattack. Meaning if the attack that hit causes the target to be Shaken then they would not get the free attack for the one (or more) that missed.

So yes, it would trigger Counterattack but any successful hit could cause the target to be Shaken which would nullify the Counterattack, so possibly, depending on the result of the successful attack.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”