Chases [SWD]

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

jcayer
Seasoned

Chases [SWD]

#1 Postby jcayer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Last night my group tried a SWD one shot. For the most part, we got the rules, except for a chase seen between 2 boats. We went over the rules for 30+ minutes and just didn't get it.

Reading it at first it sounded like everyone makes a boating check and can only draw a card if they succeed. But further on, it sounded like everyone draws a card.

How does firing a cannon on the boat(I'm assuming you need advantage to do this) relate to firing a musket(do I really need advantage to do this?)

Any help/explanation/examples would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Josh

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Chases [SWD]

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:27 pm

jcayer wrote:Last night my group tried a SWD one shot. For the most part, we got the rules, except for a chase seen between 2 boats. We went over the rules for 30+ minutes and just didn't get it.

Reading it at first it sounded like everyone makes a boating check and can only draw a card if they succeed. But further on, it sounded like everyone draws a card.

Not sure where that last impression comes from, but the book specifically says <italics added>, "Characters who don’t score at least a single success remain in the chase but get no Action Card that round."

Passengers never get a card but act on the same card as their driver/pilot (as long as the driver/pilot gets a card).

jcayer wrote:How does firing a cannon on the boat(I'm assuming you need advantage to do this) relate to firing a musket(do I really need advantage to do this?)

One side needs advantage to attack any other foe in a chase; that's the whole purpose of advantage. That one side has "somehow maneuvered in such a way as to gain a superior position, and can bring his weapons to bear."

It doesn't matter whether the weapon is a cannon or a musket; the side without advantage isn't in position to fire on the other. How that occurs is up to the GM and some creativity to fit within the abstract nature of the Chase system.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”