[EN] leveling in evernight

Information and comments on all Pinnacle official Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

khyskilgo
Novice

[EN] leveling in evernight

#1 Postby khyskilgo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:34 am

this is my first time running anything in a savage worlds game, i've been a player but have never run the show.
now my question is, how to award experience to have it scale correctly, should they be going up a tier after each chapter or a whole rank, or do i reward experience based on the difficulty of the scene?

Enno
Veteran

#2 Postby Enno » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:15 am

None of the above.

Awarding xp is a simple rule described on p124 of the SWD.

Per session you reward 1-3 xp to everyone, with an usual average of 2 xp. You may hand out 1 or 2 xp extra if the players accomplished something major, or if it was a memorable and fun session. But hand out such extra xp sparingly, as the normal progression assumes a level-up every 2-3 sessions.

Getting xp isn't the focus in SW, having a good time is! ;)
High Sage of Hoenir & Scribe of Qedeshet

Lysander
Seasoned

#3 Postby Lysander » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 pm

I run an online Savage Worlds Star Wars Game, and we only play 2-2.5 hours a session. I was handing out 2xp per and by the time we got to the end of chapter 2 of 10, they are already knocking on the door to the 3th Rank (Heroic). So had to tone it back to 1xp/session, and a +1 at a major milestone or end of chapter.

On the other hand, another person in the same group runs a game and give out 2 per 2 hr session, but increases the xp between ranks by 5, so instead of new ranks at 20/40/60/80, its 25/50/75/100.

So what's my point? You'll never know what will be right until you start, so just monitor it as it goes and adjust as needed between chapters...

I generally go for 1 xp per 2.5 hrs (which would also be my 'bennie balance check' - wherein I determine if I've been too hard or soft on the bennie handing out process and adjust accoridngly, which is critical to the game as well...)
There is no problem in this Universe that can't be solved with the application of roasted porcine flesh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A

vitamin_dei
Novice

#4 Postby vitamin_dei » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:24 am

Lysander wrote:I run an online Savage Worlds Star Wars Game, and we only play 2-2.5 hours a session. I was handing out 2xp per and by the time we got to the end of chapter 2 of 10, they are already knocking on the door to the 3th Rank (Heroic). So had to tone it back to 1xp/session, and a +1 at a major milestone or end of chapter.

I generally go for 1 xp per 2.5 hrs (which would also be my 'bennie balance check' - wherein I determine if I've been too hard or soft on the bennie handing out process and adjust accoridngly, which is critical to the game as well...)

Thank you, this is really valuable advice. I'm running an online fantasy game nice weekly and the sessions run slightly shorter due to time constraints than you might see for the average face to face session. I've been struggling with how much XP to give. I feel a little miserly only giving one per session, but I do worry a little about the power level of an AP that will, in theory, run 40+ sessions.

Lord Lance
Heroic

#5 Postby Lord Lance » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:40 am

Do a "level up" (5xp) every couple of weeks (we do weekly games, so, every couple of play nights). This keeps players excited and involved (ususally quite important, if they come from a "D&D background").
However, you still need 40+ play nights to arrive to Legendary, and please notice that Savage Worlds still stay interesting even with 200+ XP characters. Also, notice that after Legendary you need double points to gain a "level up".

That said, take a look to various treads regarding EN in the fourm. As my last advice, throw some extra enemy (or power up a little those already present) to give a good fight to all your friends. With the equip you find during the adventures, they'll become quite powerful and tough.
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#6 Postby SeeleyOne » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Lysander wrote: On the other hand, another person in the same group runs a game and give out 2 per 2 hr session, but increases the xp between ranks by 5, so instead of new ranks at 20/40/60/80, its 25/50/75/100.

I have been considering this option on my own. It is good to see that someone has already tried it and that it works.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Drue
Seasoned

#7 Postby Drue » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:31 pm

I think it depends on the campaign as well. For longer campaigns or plot points, two xp (plus bonus if appropriate) per session is a good guide.

When I've run shorter campaigns (6-8 sessions), I've used # of PC bennies spent divided by the # of players at the table. Works great for short runs; I have not tried it for extended campaigns.

Return to “SW Official Settings & Companions”