Brawler/Martial Artist damage in Grapple?

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

shinryu
Seasoned

Brawler/Martial Artist damage in Grapple?

#1 Postby shinryu » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Do the Brawler or Martial Artist edges add their damage to damage rolls as a result of Grappling? I would assume not since they are not Fighting rolls?

Follow-up question: is there a system for handling striking in grapples, if the Edges don't apply bonus damage? I've seen a common suggestion being that it's effectively a one-handed action (so you would then suffer a -4 penalty to other grappling rolls or to maintain the grapple), or possibly a multi-action penalty might be applied, but I didn't know if that was "official."

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Brawler/Martial Artist damage in Grapple?

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:10 pm

shinryu wrote:Do the Brawler or Martial Artist edges add their damage to damage rolls as a result of Grappling? I would assume not since they are not Fighting rolls?

This seems oddly familiar. ;)

Brawler and Bruiser do specifically refer to Fighting attacks, but Martial Artist and Improved Martial Artist refer to unarmed attacks and damage, which can be attributed to grappling damage too.

That said, I don't see a gamebreaker in applying Brawler and Bruiser to grappling damage as well.

shinryu wrote:Follow-up question: is there a system for handling striking in grapples, if the Edges don't apply bonus damage? I've seen a common suggestion being that it's effectively a one-handed action (so you would then suffer a -4 penalty to other grappling rolls or to maintain the grapple), or possibly a multi-action penalty might be applied, but I didn't know if that was "official."

If a character wanted to try to attack with a weapon in their hand, then that's pretty much what they would have to do. Grappling requires both hands, and they would need to release one on those hands to attack with a separate weapon, so they would suffer the penalty for attempting a two hand action with one hand (-4 as per the One Arm Hindrance).
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”