Paizo's Pathfinder Pawns

A forum for discussing anything used to add to your Savage Worlds games; miniatures, terrain, character sheets, or game aides of any type.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

sirkerry
Novice

Paizo's Pathfinder Pawns

#1 Postby sirkerry » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:24 pm

Has anyone seen the 'pawns' Pazio included in the Pathfinder Beginner Box (and apparently plan to release many more of)?

I've been using them for my D&D-esque Savage Worlds game and found that I like them a lot better then the generally flimsy print your own figure flats and was wondering if anyone knew of any other companies planning on producing such pawns/figure flats?
-Kerry Harrison
Organizer, Space City Savages
Running: 50 Fathoms
Prepping: several different scenarios
Playing: New Year's War Playtest

Bavix
Seasoned

#2 Postby Bavix » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 am

robert4818
Heroic

Re: Paizo's Pathfinder Pawns

#3 Postby robert4818 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 am

sirkerry wrote:Has anyone seen the 'pawns' Pazio included in the Pathfinder Beginner Box (and apparently plan to release many more of)?

I've been using them for my D&D-esque Savage Worlds game and found that I like them a lot better then the generally flimsy print your own figure flats and was wondering if anyone knew of any other companies planning on producing such pawns/figure flats?

Make your flats out of 110lb cardstock, or make them into tubes instead of tri-folds. Trust me at 110 cardstock they are not flimsy. I've got an army of 40k orks made out of cardstock tubes that I've used for years.
Aperture Science:
We do what we must, because we can.

Other Mike
Seasoned

#4 Postby Other Mike » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:15 pm

robert4818 wrote:Make your flats out of 110lb cardstock, or make them into tubes instead of tri-folds. Trust me at 110 cardstock they are not flimsy.

I'll second that! Even 80 lb is not bad, but the 110 lb is better. Same for printing out battle maps and the like.

But as far a pawns/tokens go ... in addition to the sources above, check out craft stores as well.

While I prefer miniatures, a friend of mine uses small wooden "pogs," with a picture of the character's (or monster's) face glued one one side. A lot of the older D&D tokens from when Paizo was still doing the Dragon Magazine are good for this treatment.
My delusions of grandeur are way bigger than yours!

sirkerry
Novice

#5 Postby sirkerry » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Bavix wrote:Why not just make your own? Here's all the stuff you need.

Because my time available for gaming is limited and I'd rather actually play games with my friends than spend a bunch of that time pursuing mostly solitaire hobbies like painting miniatures or papercrafts (making paper miniatures or pawns).
-Kerry Harrison

sirkerry
Novice

#6 Postby sirkerry » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:38 pm

robert4818 wrote:Make your flats out of 110lb cardstock, or make them into tubes instead of tri-folds. Trust me at 110 cardstock they are not flimsy. I've got an army of 40k orks made out of cardstock tubes that I've used for years.

I've printed up some of the trifold flats on 110lb cardstock and in my opinion compared to the cardboard pawns that Pazio produced they are flimsy.
-Kerry Harrison

Vinzent
Heroic

#7 Postby Vinzent » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm

That's why I use pogs (typically glued on chipboard or wood circles from Michael's). They are durable, two-sided so you can just flip them for shaken status, they store well, and they don't fall over.

Also standees on a flat map always seem out of place.

By the way, if you buy one of those craft circle cutters DO NOT try to use it on chipboard. I did and the METAL broke on the cutter.
Last edited by Vinzent on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Savage Worlds Blog
Get off the Human reservation. Read The Starrunner by C.B. Jones

Other Mike
Seasoned

#8 Postby Other Mike » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:31 pm

sirkerry wrote:Because my time available for gaming is limited and I'd rather actually play games with my friends than spend a bunch of that time pursuing mostly solitaire hobbies like painting miniatures or papercrafts (making paper miniatures or pawns).

Yeah ... that's sort of why I have so many unpainted miniatures. :-) Plus I have other hobbies as well. I enjoy painting the miniatures, but it's usually low on my list of priorities ... unless I'm coming up on Con season.

Paper ones, on the other hand, take very little time, unless creating artwork from scratch, doing the 3D terrain or the like.
Last edited by Other Mike on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Other Mike
Seasoned

#9 Postby Other Mike » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:35 pm

sirkerry wrote:I've printed up some of the trifold flats on 110lb cardstock and in my opinion compared to the cardboard pawns that Pazio produced they are flimsy.

Agreed that they are not as sturdy as the ones Paizo makes, but I'd hardly call them flimsy. The ones I have made have gone through many a game with no trouble. Oh well ... like you wrote: "in my opinion." :-)

Other Mike
Seasoned

#10 Postby Other Mike » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Vinzent wrote:Also standees on a flat map always seem out of place.

Chuckle, to me, that's just, well, normal. The way things have been done for my 30+ years of gaming.

This "newfangled" 3D terrain is nice, and I am trying to have fun with it ... another of my hobbies is building models, so the cross-over is nice ... but a flat map with miniatures? That's just normal. :-)

farik
Seasoned

#11 Postby farik » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 pm

If you're too lazy to make your own you can always check out these

http://stores.ebay.com/Matts-Pastimes/_ ... sid=837536

kronovan
Heroic

#12 Postby kronovan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:29 pm

I've pretty much explored the whole spectrum of possible options for tabletop gaming characters - painted lead and resin figs, created my own trifolds, bought and assembled pregen trifolds, made and used tokens, used prepainted figs from a plethora of manufacturers. I also have limited hobby time outside of actually GM'ing a campaign. IMO the Paizo figs in the Pathfinder starter box are good enough to just about justify the full purchase of the box. I've also uses some of the Pathfinder figs made by Wizkids and those have worked equally well along side all my other figs.

Vinzent wrote:Also standees on a flat map always seem out of place.

IMO that very much depends on the gamers at your table. If like my group, you have players that are experienced with miniature games that put figs on 2D maps -i.e. BattleLore, Battle Cry, Star Wars Miniatures, BattleTech, etc.- they'll feel right at home doing the same for an RPG. I even freely mix 3D terrain objects on my 2D maps and they've never really felt out of place.

Stan Shinn
Novice

#13 Postby Stan Shinn » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:27 pm

I've come to like 110 lb cardstock folded in two and glued with a gluestick using these resources:

Figure Flats:

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/paperfriendsindex.html (Free and awesome!)
http://www.pigames.net/store/default.php?cPath=27 (Commercial)

Figure Flat Stands:

https://www.rolcogames.com/product.php?id=83&catid=9
http://www.mrchips.net/catalog/universal-card-stand-1000-pcsbag
http://www.pigames.net/store/default.php?cPath=27_96

BUT, if you really want to match the Paizo pawn look and feel precisely, I've got a tutorial here to do just that:

http://rpghacker.com/rpg-tools/diy-pathfinder-beginner-box-style-pawns/

sirkerry
Novice

#14 Postby sirkerry » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Other Mike wrote:Yeah ... that's sort of why I have so many unpainted miniatures. :-) Plus I have other hobbies as well. I enjoy painting the miniatures, but it's usually low on my list of priorities ... unless I'm coming up on Con season.

I used to enjoy painting miniatures, but with the arthritis in my hands I just don't find in an enjoyable experience anymore.
-Kerry Harrison

sirkerry
Novice

#15 Postby sirkerry » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:22 pm

farik wrote:If you're too lazy to make your own you can always check out these

http://stores.ebay.com/Matts-Pastimes/_ ... sid=837536

Farik, thanks those wooden horse tokens available there were solution to a problem that had been vexing me for a week or so.
-Kerry Harrison

sirkerry
Novice

#16 Postby sirkerry » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Stan Shinn wrote:I've come to like 110 lb cardstock folded in two and glued with a gluestick using these resources:

snipped

BUT, if you really want to match the Paizo pawn look and feel precisely, I've got a tutorial here to do just that:

http://rpghacker.com/rpg-tools/diy-pathfinder-beginner-box-style-pawns/

I'll have to give the 110 lb cardstock folded in two a try and see what I think of it. Thanks for the awesome tutorial on how to create Pathfinder-style pawns.
-Kerry Harrison

mcbobbo
Novice

#17 Postby mcbobbo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Any updates during the intervening months?

Stan Shinn
Novice

#18 Postby Stan Shinn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:27 pm

mcbobbo wrote:Any updates during the intervening months?

Read the comments on my blog post here -- some various folks have done some experimenting and you might find something useful:

http://rpghacker.com/rpg-hobby-games/diy-pathfinder-beginner-box-style-pawns/

mcbobbo
Novice

#19 Postby mcbobbo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:11 pm

I don't mean to detract from the rpghacker stuff. It looks great. I have two nits to pick with it, though:

1) What about using the Paizo stands? I have roughly a billion of them and get more with each box I buy.

2) I cannot use an exacto knife like that. Not a chance. Fingers would be lost and I would never be satisfied with the outcome.

So I am still shopping for a method...

Return to “SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides”