Some background on the AB: The main AB is Wizard, just like in SWD, and functions almost identically. The difference is there are eight associated Skills, one for each of the eight elements in the game. Each Arcane Skill is associated with a different stat (still working on that). A character may take more than one skill with the same Arcane Background.
Example: If you take Fire Magic d6 and Nature Magic d8, you can cast Fire Magic spells with a d6 and Nature Magic spells with a d8. You only need 1 Arcane Background (Wizardry), and you only get a total of 3 powers to start with, between Fire and Nature. However, you can use either trapping, as long as both elements have the associated power and you roll the appropriate skill (so you'd normally use the Nature Bolt, but if it were really important to set something on fire, you'd use Fire Bolt).
So I don't know if this is the appropriate way to do this - I'm working on an Alpha Test document that I'll play through with my players a bunch before going turning into a PDF to give back to you guys for all your help.
However, I want to make sure I'm getting Trappings right. Now, I don't want each player to make up what they can do - I like the idea that Spirit Magic can do things that Death Magic can't, etc. I'm sure my players could create a trapping wherein Arcane magic can be used to heal, but it can't. So I made all the Trappings myself.
Just to make sure I'm on the right path, I'd like to share my Novice Earth Magic powers. Please let me know if I'm doing this right! Thank you kindly!
Earth Magic Novice Spells
- Stoneskin: Armor; success grants the recipient 2 points of Armor. A raise grants five (5) points of Armor.
- No Beast Friend.
- No Blind.
- No Bolt.
- Earthstrength: Boost Strength; target becomes slightly magnetic;
- Earthheart: Boost Vigor; on a raise the target gains Armor +1.
- Burrow: Burrow; caster gains +2 to Stealth to surprise targets.
- Rippling Quake: Burst; those who fail their Agility roll are also knocked prone. Does not work on wood floors or against flying targets.
- Magnetic Disturbance: Confusion; flying targets make Smarts roll at -4 (-6 on a raise).
- Gravitic Aura: Deflection; any melee attacker who misses the target must make a Strength check or drop their weapon.
- Sense Metal: Detect Arcana; allows caster to detect the nature of all metal within sight.
- Grasping Earth: Entangle; requires contact with stone/earth/metal floor, and doesn’t affect flying creatures. At Veteran and higher, affects flying creatures and can work on any floor as spell becomes localized gravity.
- No Environmental Protection.
- No Fear.
- No Healing.
- Dust Cloud: Obscure.
- No Mind Reading.
- Earthen Strike: Smite; metal melee weapons only, and weapon gains AP 1 against metal armor.
- Anchored Step: Speed; instead of usual effects - on a success, target ignores difficult terrain; on a raise, Pace is doubled.
- Gravitic Pulse: Stun; targets who fail their Vigor roll fall prone.
- Stoneroot: Succor; only works when touching earth/stone/metal.
- Stonegrip: Wall Walker; only on metal/earth/stone; with a success he may move his full Pace, with a raise he may run.