Monster hunting/supernatural horror in the vein of WoD?

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

smarttman
Seasoned

Monster hunting/supernatural horror in the vein of WoD?

#1 Postby smarttman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:40 pm

I know Rippers is the supernatural horror setting for SW, but has anyone tried to create a more modern setting? I know Apocalypse Prevention Inc is supposed to get a conversion, but there is little news for WHEN.

I have found a Mage and a Vampire conversion, but that's really it

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Agents of Oblivion. There's a lot of supernatural-hunting potential in that setting, though the PCs are assumed to be human (super-spies, but human).

If you want to actually be monsters, the coming Scarey Tales would seem to fit. Everyone makes a character from Grimme-style stories and runs around with them. But it's not out yet.

Day After Ragnarok has you fighting all kinds of monsters, after the USA dropped the bomb on the Norse apocalypse.

Deadlands: Noir will have lots of supernatural stuff going on in an alternate-history 1930's.

Do people do supernatural horror in the modern world? Yes. Do most of them publish it? Nope, because they'd constantly be compared to the World of Darkness. Instead, they grab the Horror Companion and have an awesome game.

Good luck!
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Zadmar
Legendary

#3 Postby Zadmar » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:15 pm

My Supernaturalis rules were originally intended for urban fantasy, and could easily be used to handle the crunch side of a WoD-style setting.

You could also use the SPC.

The HC has some great content and is definitely worth picking up, but its monstrous races are not balanced with each other.

smarttman
Seasoned

#4 Postby smarttman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Zadmar wrote:My Supernaturalis rules were originally intended for urban fantasy, and could easily be used to handle the crunch side of a WoD-style setting.

You could also use the SPC.

The HC has some great content and is definitely worth picking up, but its monstrous races are not balanced with each other.

Wow, really really cool stuff! Thanks!

Crumbs
Novice

#5 Postby Crumbs » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:22 pm

I think Realms of Cthulhu has some notes on how to adapt the mythos to modern times.

Really though the genre of modern super natural horror is pretty easy to do on your own. I just do it as I would any other modern game but the PCs or NPCs are some variation of "monster."

heathd666
Seasoned

#6 Postby heathd666 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:00 pm

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/101783/Ju ... rs_id=3683

MTE put this out i bought it but havnt had time to read it but for 6 dollars for the pdf it may be what you are looking for.

sincerely
heath delashmit

kreider204
Heroic

#7 Postby kreider204 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:04 pm

"It only takes an extra second to be courteous."
- Constable Benton Fraser

Darq666
Seasoned

Re: Monster hunting/supernatural horror in the vein of WoD?

#8 Postby Darq666 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:42 pm

smarttman wrote:I know Rippers is the supernatural horror setting for SW, but has anyone tried to create a more modern setting? I know Apocalypse Prevention Inc is supposed to get a conversion, but there is little news for WHEN.

I have found a Mage and a Vampire conversion, but that's really it

API has been beta testing at Cons - They say very soon.

First Oni
Novice

#9 Postby First Oni » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:54 am

That "very soon" is changed to "very very soon", by the way.

-Eloy
Eloy Lasanta of Third Eye Games
Makers of Apocalypse Prevention, Inc, Wu Xing: The Ninja Crusade, Part-Time Gods, Mermaid Adventures, Camp Myth: The RPG and AMP: Year One
http://www.thirdeyegames.net

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”