Scairy Tales Update Thread

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Truckee Games
Seasoned

Scairy Tales Update Thread

#1 Postby Truckee Games » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:25 pm

This is just a sample of Scairy Tales just to keep me motivated, accountable, and on track to complete.

I'll post all further and future info about ST here.

-Brent Wolke
Truckee Games
( www.truckeegames.blogspot.com )

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#2 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:57 am

Interesting. So you're keeping the fourteen Hindrance points setting rule. I was wondering whether or not you would drop that since Deluxe has more extensive race creation rules than the first edition did.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Zadmar
Legendary

#3 Postby Zadmar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:56 am

I'm not sure I'd want to let players use the race creation rules from SWD, they're too open to min-maxing. A custom set of racial abilities could work, but then you're effectively recreating the SPC.

14 hindrance points does seem to be a lot, though; my players already spend ages just trying to pick out 4! I never managed to get my hands on the original Scairy Tales, but I'd assume it has a load of new hindrances? Even so, if "all player characters in Wonderment are fairy tale folk" then they don't need to be balanced against regular humans, so it might be just easier to give them a few free fairy edges during creation.

Love the layout and style of the page.

Truckee Games
Seasoned

#4 Postby Truckee Games » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:57 am

As to the 14 Hindrance points, I wrote about it in depth sometime before, but the short of it is:

I tried a lot of different rules/mechanical methods to allow players to create Fairy Tale Folk before coming upon this method (14 points of Hindrances), including a version back in 2002 or so that was 95% identical to the SWDX/Slipstream race creation rules. Fact is, Scairy Tales has been (honestly) extensively play tested under these rules...by a host of people who ought to know about Savage Worlds (including some dude named Shane)...and it works. It really does.
-Brent Wolke

Truckee Games

( www.truckeegames.blogspot.com )

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”