Deadlands Noir

All discussions about the new Noir setting for Deadlands and Savage Worlds. It's 1935 and the only thing that isn't in short supply is trouble.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Clint
Site Admin

Deadlands Noir

#1 Postby Clint » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:00 am

I realize most everyone knows, but just in case someone was waiting till the last minute... it's here!

10 minutes left in the Deadlands Noir Kickstarter!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/deadlands-noir
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

madhatter
Seasoned

#2 Postby madhatter » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:06 am

I just became a backer. First kickstarter I've ever participated in. I can't wait for this setting. Even my wife is intrigued with this. Many congrats to you guys :)

-Jefferson

Scott A. Woodard
Heroic

#3 Postby Scott A. Woodard » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am

Congratulations guys! Just shy of $118K! No small feat!!!

Looking forward to getting my grubby digits on the final product (and all those delicious incentives)!
DAVROS: ‘Tar Lubek Ka’leed, Uth Ricta Dal’ek.’ Roughly translated, it means: ‘And on that day, men will become like gods.’ (I, DAVROS: GUILT written by Scott Alan Woodard http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/guilt-393)

Harrowed
Novice

#4 Postby Harrowed » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:48 pm

I kicked in this morning as well. Congratulations.

Get to work. :mrgreen:
In God we trust
All others we monitor

NSA motto

Erifnogard
Novice

#5 Postby Erifnogard » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Congrats on an incredibly successful kickstarter! I can't wait for these books!
CEO of Paranoia, Inc.
Our motto: "Better paranoid than surprised!"

robert4818
Heroic

#6 Postby robert4818 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:16 pm

I resisted for a while, but as stretch goals kept getting surpassed, those deals kept getting sweeter and sweeter. In the end, I went for the $75 kickstarter. I wants me those decks of cards.
Aperture Science:
We do what we must, because we can.

Talahar
Veteran

#7 Postby Talahar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:42 pm

I'm so glad this was a huge success, you guys deserve it!
And of all the kickstarters I participated in so far I pledged the most for this one.
Even raised my pledge once the shamus level got introduced. :D
Sooooo worth it. I just hope I won't get too much hassle with customs once the goodies ship.... >.<
~it's a slow death, oh my, spread your evil wings and fly!~

newForumNewName
Heroic

#8 Postby newForumNewName » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 pm

I am so excited for Deadlands: Noir. If I had the extra money, I would have contributed, but my contribution will be to purchase a physical copy when it goes on sale.
"I had a whole bunch of advice for you but got ninja'd by newForumNewName. I'd just do what he says." -- 77IM

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH

Sam Hain
Novice

#9 Postby Sam Hain » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:16 pm

I don't get paid till Friday, so I just missed out on this which sucks cause I SOOO wanted to get in on this.

Now I just hope there is someone important named Van Helter in the city...

dahak
Veteran

#10 Postby dahak » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:47 am

What I liked most about this Kickstarter was the level of interaction it created between Shane (and company) and the fans. It has always been better than some/most RPG companies, but this past month has been day after day of checking the page for updates or interesting posts. Honorable mention to the "Mayor of N'Orleans" too. John Goff's podcasting mini-tour was another high point. All-in-all, just a lot of excitement generated by this experiment. Hope there's another one down the road!

Hidaowin
Novice

#11 Postby Hidaowin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:16 am

Awesome, Gencon here I come.

Talahar
Veteran

#12 Postby Talahar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Dahak wrote:What I liked most about this Kickstarter was the level of interaction it created between Shane (and company) and the fans. It has always been better than some/most RPG companies, but this past month has been day after day of checking the page for updates or interesting posts. Honorable mention to the "Mayor of N'Orleans" too. John Goff's podcasting mini-tour was another high point. All-in-all, just a lot of excitement generated by this experiment. Hope there's another one down the road!

I agree wholeheartedly. I'd also like to mention the audio drama which sold
the mood and feeling of the setting so fantastically. At least to me.
~it's a slow death, oh my, spread your evil wings and fly!~

VonDan
Legendary

#13 Postby VonDan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:34 pm

I have DL the audio Novel From you tube but not watched/listened to it yet. I do see they added visuals to the novel like in a CD graphic novel or a Ken burns Documentary

For Deadlands they should Photoshop a bunch of public domain civil war and old west photos and make a Ken Burns like Mockumentary On the background of the Deadlands world. Maybe as a film by a decedent of one of the reporters in Deadlands from the 1950's

Bluegrass
Novice

#14 Postby Bluegrass » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Howdy,

I'm jazzed that, in the end, the Kickstarter goal for Deadlands: Noir was not only met -- but, like so many bottles of booze during Prohibition, got completely smashed. Deadlands has been one of my all-time favorite settings, while films like The Maltese Falcon and Chinatown have been some of my favorites. And thrilled that I became a Backer for the project.

!!WARNING!! SPECULATION ON POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW !!WARNING!!

Just the basic concept of Deadlands: Noir gets my mind racing with ideas and questions. One of the things that I'm really curious about is what kind - if any - interplay there will be between DL:N and Classics Hell On Earth. For example: Will the Noir Campanion give us more background on the war between Eliot Ness and (according to The Last Crusaders) a Reckenor-backed Al Capone? The same book mentions that Sgt. Alvin York taught at the Confederate Syker Academy in 1924.... does this mean that Arcane Background: Psionics will be available in Deadlands: Noir?

Billybuck Dancer
Seasoned

#15 Postby Billybuck Dancer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Oops! I posted this in a different thread earlier. Interesting stuff here.

RPGamer has some interesting teasers and spoilers. Grifters and Prohibition!

shadd4d
Legendary
Location: Valparaiso, IN...I miss Deutschland, Chicago, Charlottesville.

#16 Postby shadd4d » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:52 pm

As I'm unfamiliar with Kickstarter, is it still possible for those who didn't kick money into the pot to still purchase an (unadorned) copy of the book?
Don

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#17 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:47 pm

shadd4d wrote:As I'm unfamiliar with Kickstarter, is it still possible for those who didn't kick money into the pot to still purchase an (unadorned) copy of the book?

Once it is available for sale, you can buy it. Which should be about the same time all the Backers get their copies.

BigWeather
Novice

#18 Postby BigWeather » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Have huge regrets over not backing this. I became aware of it with a couple of days to go but had never played Savage Worlds. So, while the setting was very compelling (especially having grown up in Baton Rouge), I just couldn't pull the trigger. I was grappling with Pathfinder vs. DCC at the time.

Then, in early August, I realized that both PF and DCC were just too... crunchy... for me. I wanted something more free-flowing. I thought I wanted something that hearkened back to my youth so started looking into OGL-based OSR systems (S&W, etc.). But those, while less rules-y, had the problem of being lots of quirky tables and exceptions. About this time I also had a HUGE hankering to play something pulpy. Sooooo, as you can imagine...

...I fell for Savage Worlds HARD. SW Deluxe hardcover, Super Powers and Horror companions (and Fantasy on the way from eBay), as well as setting books for Space: 1889, DL Reloaded, Slipstream, and Weird Wars 2, with DL:HoE Reloaded and Solomon Kane soon to follow.

Why, oh why, couldn't I fall for SW back in June!?!

Anyhow, I'll buy it when it is available. Will the companion also be available?

Clint
Site Admin

#19 Postby Clint » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:06 pm

BigWeather wrote:Anyhow, I'll buy it when it is available. Will the companion also be available?

If you mean whether can it be purchased outside of the Kickstarter, the answer is yes, it will go into normal release channels.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

JackMann
Veteran

#20 Postby JackMann » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm pretty stoked about this. I get to be one of the villains!

Mwahahahahah!

Return to “Deadlands Noir”