Gencon 2012

The place to discuss conventions. What's coming up, what's going on, and what happened afterward.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, Evil Mike, Chaos Steve, The Moderators

DHRDawg
Veteran

#21 Postby DHRDawg » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Steve wrote:This is my first Gencon, and I was really late in signing up for events. If I just show up to SSN with generic tickets in hand, what are the chances that I'll be able to get into something?

From what I understand you will have a good chance of gaming. They try to see to it that everyone gets a seat. And some GMs make extra characters like I do. My game is slated for 6 but I always make 2 extra.

Bryan
Novice

#22 Postby Bryan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:29 pm

I saw they posted an event on Saturday Night for people with generic tickets (Thanks!).
How are you guys doing for GMs to help run it?

First GenCon as a Savage Worlds fan and was bummed when Saturday Night events sold out so quickly. Was thinking of volunteering to run a table if needed.

gnomestress
Novice

#23 Postby gnomestress » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:32 pm

The SO & I are registered for RPG1234364 Savage Saturday Night: Caravan of Troubles for SSN. It's our first GenCon and our first SSN. I can't wait!
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
~Albert Camus~

chitownroy
Veteran

#24 Postby chitownroy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Gnome you are going to have a blast. I will say that SSN is a gaming experience like no other.

By the way I see you are in Chicago where does your group game?

gnomestress
Novice

#25 Postby gnomestress » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:38 am

We usually game at various player's places. Our LGS is Games Plus though so we are there somewhat often. I put Chicago on there to simplify things but we're really suburbanites.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

~Albert Camus~

Xavier Onassiss
Seasoned

#26 Postby Xavier Onassiss » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Is there still time to submit a new event for SSN? I'm running Savage Worlds games Friday and Saturday afternoon, but after seeing how fast they filled up (I'm new to the SW community) I figure adding a 3rd session would be a good idea.

Scott A. Woodard
Heroic

#27 Postby Scott A. Woodard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Was seriously considering a last-minute trip to GenCon this year, but then I started poking around and discovered that there are simply no more hotels within 5 miles of downtown (according to hotels.com and other sites)... As I would be flying in, a cab fare to and from the con every day would be pretty costly... Sigh.

Next year for sure!
DAVROS: ‘Tar Lubek Ka’leed, Uth Ricta Dal’ek.’ Roughly translated, it means: ‘And on that day, men will become like gods.’ (I, DAVROS: GUILT written by Scott Alan Woodard http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/guilt-393)

nanoic
Novice

Coon and Friends canceled

#28 Postby nanoic » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 am

From GenCon Reg:
RPG1229825 Savage Saturday Night - Who Watches Coon and Friends has been canceled.

The event organizer has had a family emergency come up and will not be able to run the event.

Any chance of someone hosting a replacement game or making room for the ticket holders?

jpk
Legendary

#29 Postby jpk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 am

Ogma wrote:Was seriously considering a last-minute trip to GenCon this year, but then I started poking around and discovered that there are simply no more hotels within 5 miles of downtown (according to hotels.com and other sites)... As I would be flying in, a cab fare to and from the con every day would be pretty costly... Sigh.

Historically, I find the week or two before a huge convention to be a great time to get rooms as people are cancelling out and trying not to get charged for that first night.

And if you consider the cost of a cab in and out each day versus the cost of parking each day, you might be surprised how competitive that can be. Also, a number of out-of-downtown hotels have shuttle service to downtown.

Wow. All this positivity is really wearing me out. I'm not used to it. :-?

Xavier Onassiss
Seasoned

Re: Coon and Friends canceled

#30 Postby Xavier Onassiss » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:53 pm

nanoic wrote:From GenCon Reg:
RPG1229825 Savage Saturday Night - Who Watches Coon and Friends has been canceled.

The event organizer has had a family emergency come up and will not be able to run the event.

Any chance of someone hosting a replacement game or making room for the ticket holders?

I've got a game that's already filled up twice over (Fri 1-5pm & Sat 1-5pm) and I've been thinking of running it a 3rd time at Savage Saturday Night if I could find room.

How do I go about setting this up?

Details on the event are here:

http://www.highprogrammer.com/gencon.hi ... RPG1233321

Note: although only 5 slots for players are listed, I have a sixth character in reserve for an extra player, and I'll probably be adding a seventh, so I can seat two more per event with generic tickets.

Chaos Steve
Seasoned

#31 Postby Chaos Steve » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 am

Xavier wrote:...I've been thinking of running it a 3rd time at Savage Saturday Night if I could find room.

How do I go about setting this up?

If you're interested in being an alternate GM for SSN, PM me. As an alternate, we might use your game to replace any last minute cancellations or to handle overflow players.

Thanks!

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.
-- Albert Einstein

zamboni
Novice

#32 Postby zamboni » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:57 am

I am super excited! I have 6 PC's created for my SSN game. Should I make more in case there are players in need of a table?

Chaos Steve
Seasoned

#33 Postby Chaos Steve » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:27 am

zamboni wrote:Should I make more in case there are players in need of a table?

That's up to you. Even though I don't like to run with more than 6 players, I always have an extra character or two—probably because they are so fun to make up. We'll try to keep it at 6 players, if at all possible.

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.

-- Albert Einstein

zamboni
Novice

#34 Postby zamboni » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:57 am

Awesome. Thanks Steve. I also got your email and will be there at 7:15 on Saturday night. I can't wait!

FickleGM
Novice

#35 Postby FickleGM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:03 pm

One of these years, I'll have to set aside time to finally attend SSN. Unfortunately, I have plans from 8-12 Saturday night...running a Savage Worlds one-shot...with hard liquor involved. At least we'll all be enjoying Savage Worlds!

Xavier Onassiss
Seasoned

#36 Postby Xavier Onassiss » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:52 pm

FickleGM wrote:One of these years, I'll have to set aside time to finally attend SSN. Unfortunately, I have plans from 8-12 Saturday night...running a Savage Worlds one-shot...with hard liquor involved. At least we'll all be enjoying Savage Worlds!

I'd think if there's hard liquor, it would involve more than just "one shot."

FickleGM
Novice

#37 Postby FickleGM » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Xavier Onassiss wrote:
FickleGM wrote:One of these years, I'll have to set aside time to finally attend SSN. Unfortunately, I have plans from 8-12 Saturday night...running a Savage Worlds one-shot...with hard liquor involved. At least we'll all be enjoying Savage Worlds!

I'd think if there's hard liquor, it would involve more than just "one shot."

Oh, it will. The hard liquor crew has had many fun adventures (both with and without drinking). :)

greyseerco
Seasoned

Re: Coon and Friends canceled

#38 Postby greyseerco » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:25 pm

nanoic wrote:From GenCon Reg:

A friend of mine has 2 tickets for this event, will he be able to convert them to Generics to be used for SSN or will he be slotted into a specific event? I ask because were are still trying to consolidate 6 of us to Pocket of Black Powder and while we have 4 already, we are hoping to get two more into that table.

Chaos Steve
Seasoned

#39 Postby Chaos Steve » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 am

greyseerco wrote:A friend of mine has 2 tickets for this event, will he be able to convert them to Generics to be used for SSN or will he be slotted into a specific event?

Yes, he can use those tickets as generics for SSN.

-- Albert Einstein

Christina Stiles
Seasoned

#40 Postby Christina Stiles » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 am

Looking forward to seeing my Savage Friends at the show--my first GenCon EVER!!!! Woohoo! I'll be running my mouth at several seminars, if anyone's interested.

You guys should totally bombard Wolfgang Baur at the show and tell him you'd like to see some Savage Worlds in Kobold Quarterly. :)

Return to “The Con Suite”