[FC] Bird of Prey and the Blind ability

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

[FC] Bird of Prey and the Blind ability

#1 Postby Wilborg » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:08 am

Hi there,

i have a question about the Blind ability of the Bird of Prey (Fantasy Companion page 103).

Blind:When attacking large prey (such as characters), birds of prey go for the eyes. If the bird scores a raise on its Fighting roll, it has hit the character’s face. The character must make an Agility roll. On a failure, he suffers the One Eye Hindrance until his wounds heal. A roll of 1, regardless of the Wild Die, he suffers the Blind Hindrance instead.

How long does the hindrance lasts, if the attack causes no wound?

best regards

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Until his wounds heal. If he has no wounds then I guess it was a momentary thing - he almost got hit in an eye and had a scary moment of near blindness. No mechanical effect, but the GM should describe how the character almost lost an eye.
This provides a RP opportunity for the player (playing up the shock and fear of that can earn a benny) and warns the party about that special ability.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

The One

#3 Postby The One » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:53 am

I read this as a special attack, the bird can either attack to cause a wound, or it can attack to Blind. To succeed, he has to get at least a raise, but the damage caused is a lot more severe.

Effectively, it's a called shot to the face, and the One Eye / Blind hindrances need to be recovered in the normal fashion (replacements via magic items, maybe Greater Healing?)
Life: Past trends are not an indication of future performance

#4 Postby kronovan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:11 pm

I've never read this, or used it, as a special attack like a called shot - not that there's anything wrong with running it that way. IMO the Blind is the bonus a Bird of Prey achieves when they roll a raise, and compensation for the fact that their base claw damage (Str[d4]+d6) is quite weak. Not to mention that they get to attack from height and the nearest part of the anatomy is the head - at least for any humanoid type character. ;) If the attacked player passes the Agility roll there's no hindrance - so as Valhalla said, no healing time.

One thing I did with this in a B&B campaign where the Bird was a familiar for a NPC, was to allow it to work like an intimidation or taunt. I had it grant it's owner the resulting bonus on their next attack, and I allowed that even when the target passed the Agility test.

#5 Postby ogbendog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Note that on a raise, it'll do +d6 damage as well.

I'd say if Shaken, they are blind until they unshake (from blood in the eyes.)

if they aren't Shaken, I"d treat it as a momentary thing

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”