Trait Bonus (SFC)

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Virgobrown72
Heroic

Trait Bonus (SFC)

#1 Postby Virgobrown72 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Alright. I have a question concerning the Trait Bonus enhancement from the Cybernetics section of the Sci Fi Companion. It states that the character gets a flat +2 bonus to the relevant Trait or Attribute, but only once per Trai or Attribute. So, say for example, my character gets this enhancement in Strength. It would stand to reason that the +2 would carry over to melee damage, true? Or, if Agility is enhanced, would that be a +2 to Shooting or Fighting skills as well? :wink:

Thanx!!!
"That which does not kill me, makes me Shaken..."

Freemage
Veteran

Re: Trait Bonus (SFC)

#2 Postby Freemage » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:37 am

Virgobrown72 wrote:Alright. I have a question concerning the Trait Bonus enhancement from the Cybernetics section of the Sci Fi Companion. It states that the character gets a flat +2 bonus to the relevant Trait or Attribute, but only once per Trai or Attribute. So, say for example, my character gets this enhancement in Strength. It would stand to reason that the +2 would carry over to melee damage, true? Or, if Agility is enhanced, would that be a +2 to Shooting or Fighting skills as well? :wink:

Thanx!!!

Strength definitely adds to melee damage. However, you don't roll Agility when making attacks, so that would NOT carry over. That said, arguably the increase in your attribute, being permanent, will make it cheaper to raise linked Skills. FREX:

You have Agility, Shooting and Fighting d6. At that point, it would take four separate Advances to get to d10s in all three, assuming you spend them in the right order (Ie, Agility, Agility, Skills, Skills). But boosting Agility with Cybernetics would let you get the two skill advances one after the other, and thus make it happen far sooner.

Virgobrown72
Heroic

#3 Postby Virgobrown72 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:18 am

Okay. Sounds good, I'll run with that...

Thanx!!!
"That which does not kill me, makes me Shaken..."

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:08 am

Freemage wrote:You have Agility, Shooting and Fighting d6. At that point, it would take four separate Advances to get to d10s in all three, assuming you spend them in the right order (Ie, Agility, Agility, Skills, Skills). But boosting Agility with Cybernetics would let you get the two skill advances one after the other, and thus make it happen far sooner.

Except the Trait Bonus doesn't increase the Trait. It's a flat +2 to relevant rolls.

Note: Trait is a collective term for Skills and Attributes. Each Skill and Attribute is its own Trait. (SWD, page 16, "Characters are defined by attributes and skills, collectively called “Traits,”".)

If you take Trait Bonus (Strength) then your normal Strength (d6) character now hits shockingly hard (d6+2) and can lift things more reliably, though probably can't actually carry much more (i.e. Load Limit is unaffected).
Taking Trait Bonus (Agility) helps when walking a tight rope, balancing on a rocking deck, or reacting quickly (all would be Agility checks), but it doesn't help with various Skills. Each Skill is its own Trait, and if you wanted a bonus to Driving or Shooting then you should have grabbed the appropriate cybernetic.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Freemage
Veteran

#5 Postby Freemage » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:26 am

ValhallaGH wrote:
Freemage wrote:You have Agility, Shooting and Fighting d6. At that point, it would take four separate Advances to get to d10s in all three, assuming you spend them in the right order (Ie, Agility, Agility, Skills, Skills). But boosting Agility with Cybernetics would let you get the two skill advances one after the other, and thus make it happen far sooner.

Except the Trait Bonus doesn't increase the Trait. It's a flat +2 to relevant rolls.

Note: Trait is a collective term for Skills and Attributes. Each Skill and Attribute is its own Trait. (SWD, page 16, "Characters are defined by attributes and skills, collectively called “Traits,”".)

If you take Trait Bonus (Strength) then your normal Strength (d6) character now hits shockingly hard (d6+2) and can lift things more reliably, though probably can't actually carry much more (i.e. Load Limit is unaffected).
Taking Trait Bonus (Agility) helps when walking a tight rope, balancing on a rocking deck, or reacting quickly (all would be Agility checks), but it doesn't help with various Skills. Each Skill is its own Trait, and if you wanted a bonus to Driving or Shooting then you should have grabbed the appropriate cybernetic.

Whoops. Thanks for the correction, there.

Jounichi
Legendary

#6 Postby Jounichi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 pm

He could still take an Attribute Bonus mod. It's more strain, but costs a lot less money.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”