[FC+HC] Relics Created with Rituals... at what cost?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle official Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1404
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

[FC+HC] Relics Created with Rituals... at what cost?

#1 Postby Kristian Serrano » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 pm

In a conversation of Rituals from the Horror Companion in a fantasy campaign that uses the Fantasy Companion, I suddenly had the thought of using Rituals while creating magic items. This makes it possible to create more powerful items with longer durations, larger ranges, and more. Given the difficulty of Rituals and their effects they yield, this would obviously increase the cost of such powerful relics, but by how much? Ideas?

User avatar
Jackson
Veteran
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:17 pm
Location: Texas

#2 Postby Jackson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:55 am

Funny you should be asking about rituals to make magic items (talismans). Check out latest post on www.12tomidnight.com about how we do this in Degrees of Horror.

Keep on rolling aces!

:blam:
Keep it coming...

East Texas University....enroll for the Fall Semester Now!

User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1404
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

#3 Postby Kristian Serrano » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Jackson wrote:Funny you should be asking about rituals to make magic items (talismans). Check out latest post on www.12tomidnight.com about how we do this in Degrees of Horror.

Keep on rolling aces!

:blam:

Nice to see the concept exercised elsewhere. I'm still in need of figuring out the cost of an item created with enhanced effects via the ritual rules in a fantasy setting.

User avatar
Jackson
Veteran
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:17 pm
Location: Texas

#4 Postby Jackson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 pm

When Degrees of Horror comes out, you could easily port the rules to fantasy or anything else.

the ritual rules were originally designed by Clint and expanded on by me.

I know that doesn't help you right now, but it might soon.
Keep it coming...



East Texas University....enroll for the Fall Semester Now!

User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1404
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

#5 Postby Kristian Serrano » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Jackson wrote:When Degrees of Horror comes out, you could easily port the rules to fantasy or anything else.

the ritual rules were originally designed by Clint and expanded on by me.

I know that doesn't help you right now, but it might soon.
Tease. ;)

User avatar
Zadmar
Legendary
Posts: 3052
Age: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:59 am
Location: Munich
Contact:

#6 Postby Zadmar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:11 pm

I'd argue that creating a magic item would already be a ritual. An HC ritual allows you to extend the duration of a power to "concentration" (-2 penalty) or days instead of rounds (-4 penalty for 14400 times the duration). All you really need to do is decide where "one shot" and "permanent" fall on that scale (perhaps -2 and -6 respectively?) and you'd be able to create potions, rings, etc.

Once you've quantified those options, you could mix in the other ritual options - although I'm not sure how suitable the ones in the HC really are; a magic weapon with +4d6 "increased damage" would be brutal.

User avatar
Kristian Serrano
Heroic
Posts: 1404
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

#7 Postby Kristian Serrano » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Zadmar wrote:I'd argue that creating a magic item would already be a ritual. An HC ritual allows you to extend the duration of a power to "concentration" (-2 penalty) or days instead of rounds (-4 penalty for 14400 times the duration). All you really need to do is decide where "one shot" and "permanent" fall on that scale (perhaps -2 and -6 respectively?) and you'd be able to create potions, rings, etc.

Once you've quantified those options, you could mix in the other ritual options - although I'm not sure how suitable the ones in the HC really are; a magic weapon with +4d6 "increased damage" would be brutal.
But you're ignoring the other nuances beyond just duration. For example, what if I wanted to extend the range of a power, or perhaps I did want to extend the duration of a power activated from a wand?

User avatar
Zadmar
Legendary
Posts: 3052
Age: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:59 am
Location: Munich
Contact:

#8 Postby Zadmar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm not ignoring the other options, but I think duration is the best place to start, so that you can reverse engineer the process of magic item creation (something which isn't explicitly covered in the FC as far as I can see). Once you've worked that out, you can start (very carefully) incorporating other ritual options.

To pick a random item from the FC...a Cloak of Protection gives +2 Armor. With a HC ritual you could cast the Armor spell with a duration of 3 days, +1 day per PP, and you would have a -4 penalty to the Spellcasting roll. Increasing the casting time by ten times would reduce the penalty by 2, and using rare components would reduce it by another 2.

So using the HC ritual it would take 50 minutes, an expensive cloak, and some successful Spellcasting rolls to create a Cloak of Protection that lasts 11 days (assuming you had 10 PP). A raise on the roll would turn it into a Greater Cloak of Protection.

That's actually not bad for an item you're creating in a hurry, but normally I'd expect the cloak to take longer to make, and of course it would be permanent. But perhaps that could be covered by an Artificer Edge (which might also allow you to use the Alchemy Backlash table)? That would allow you to create many of the magic items in the FC.

The other ritual options I would probably reserve for relics, as they could create some extremely powerful items - that way they could be individually balanced by making them intelligent or giving them curses. Extended Range and Damage (total of -6 penalty) would allow you to create a wand of homing missiles - you don't need to be able to see your target, they just have to be within 10-12* miles, and it'll inflict 2d10+4d6 damage. Definitely relic strength, and I would always have relics use the ritual backlash table, as well as require more specialised components.

* Well, Smarts miles, based on the caster. But I'm assuming a dedicated artificer would have a high Smarts.


Return to “SW Official Settings & Companions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sean Patrick Fannon and 0 guests