Large spread out battles

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sundried
Novice

Large spread out battles

#1 Postby Sundried » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Im running SW Realms of Cthulhu and loving it. We are doing the Masks of Nyarlathotep and about to take down the big combat area at the end of New York.

The team is going win with 5 wild cards and 15 no name henchmen. They are going up against four wildcards (three deadly killers and one unkillable monster).
There is another evil WC and 5 henchmen outside waiting for a car chase.

The fight is not entered in one place buy rather spread all over.

Any suggestions on how to run this so its no a mess.

kronovan
Heroic

#2 Postby kronovan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:45 am

If your concern is to not have the encounter drag out, you could use the mass battle rules. Just be sure to equate a correct proportion of tokens for the 3 deadly killers and the Elder God/Great Old One (I'm assuming it's either of those and not a Servitor, since you mentioned it can't be killed.) If the party and there 15 henchmen manage to reduce enough of the horrific opponents' tokens, that invincible boss should retreat as per the rules. Maybe it retreats back to whatever dark domain where it resides.

Since all foes are WC's, they should be allowed to attempt bonus rolls to aid their primary battle roll which I imagine will be made by tnat invinvible boss. If tne party is losing too many tokens, cut back on those bonus rollls. To incorporate the aspect of the fight being spread among different locations, you might have it move to a new locale when 1or 2 of either side's tokens have been removed.

UmbraLux
Veteran

Re: Large spread out battles

#3 Postby UmbraLux » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Sundried wrote:The fight is not entered in one place buy rather spread all over.

Any suggestions on how to run this so its no a mess.
The focus should be on wherever the PCs are - anything else can be narrated as background. If the PCs split up during combat I'd run one initiative for everyone and keep the focus following whomever has the initiative. It means some switching but it keeps the focus with the action.

Even if you use the mass battles rules as kronovan suggests I'd still use a central initiative and keep the focus following it. It helps ensure you're keeping everyone involved.

kronovan
Heroic

Re: Large spread out battles

#4 Postby kronovan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:50 am

UmbraLux wrote:Even if you use the mass battles rules as kronovan suggests I'd still use a central initiative and keep the focus following it. It helps ensure you're keeping everyone involved.

I read the OP as a battle that covers a large area and is fought in specific locations progressing from one to the other - that probably wasn't correct. I agree that if it's a number of locations are simultaneously battled within, the party should participate in each on the same initiative. With mass battles the PC's and enemy could make their support/bonus rolls in initiative order and then have the primary battle rolls by the party and enemy leaders at the end. I ran things that way in IZ 1.0 when some players blitted and made VR attacks in the Deep while others battled in the real world, and it worked well.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”