[SPC] Starting Power Points for Novice Characters

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Altissimus
Novice

[SPC] Starting Power Points for Novice Characters

#1 Postby Altissimus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:42 am

Hi,

Came across this answer:

Sannos wrote:
In a SPC Standard (power point option) Common Comic Campaign a starting character get 15 power points because inherent power grants Arcane Background (Super Powers) for 10 power points and super karma grants 5 power points to the character. Then a novice can take the power point edge as one of the beginning Edge to get another 5 power points for a total of 20 power points.

So did I do it correctly?

Clint wrote:
Yes, if using the Setting Rules from the Common Comic Campaigns sidebar on page 10, then a character who takes the additional Hindrance from Super Karma and gets the Power Points Edge his one time for Novice would have a total of 20 PPs (10+5+5).

My question:

If you design your own race from the core rule book (mine is the deluxe as I'm led to believe that makes a difference), then can you, in addition to the 20 (10+5+5) Clint mentioned above, ALSO:

1) Add +10pp for one Arcane Background (+2 ability)?
2) Add +5pp for one Arcane Background (+1 ability)?
3) Add BOTH of the above?

Thanks,
A.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [SPC] Starting Power Points for Novice Characters

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 am

Altissimus wrote:If you design your own race from the core rule book (mine is the deluxe as I'm led to believe that makes a difference), then can you, in addition to the 20 (10+5+5) Clint mentioned above, ALSO:

1) Add +10pp for one Arcane Background (+2 ability)?
2) Add +5pp for one Arcane Background (+1 ability)?

Nope. As noted under Races in the SPC <italics added>...

"Other races—undead, constructs, or even aliens from other worlds—are also possible, but you’ll create those with the appropriate superpowers so that you can tailor your race exactly as you see it."

So the Super Powers Companion does not use the Race Creation rules from the core book; races are just a "trapping" for certain powers (and perhaps Hindrances).

Altissimus wrote:3) Add BOTH of the above?

This can't ever be done as he +5 PP ability states, "cannot be same AB as +2 Ability described above," so no race can every have more than +10 PPs to a specific type of Arcane Background.

Hope that helps and clarifies.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”