Will Critically Fail For Bennies

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
ron blessing
Heroic
Posts: 1531
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:26 am
Location: Thornton, CO
Contact:

Will Critically Fail For Bennies

#1 Postby ron blessing » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 pm

I wrote a blog post about a Savage Worlds setting rule I created and where it came from. Check it out: http://www.tgtt.us/2014/04/15/will-critically-fail-for-bennies/

cousinned
Novice
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:39 pm

#2 Postby cousinned » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 pm

I love this idea, I will definitely try it out the next time I run a game! Although I would probably limit it to once per player per session: once per scene might make the game seem too much like the Three Stooges. I'd also try to relate the critical failure to one of the PC's hindrances to make it more personal.

User avatar
ron blessing
Heroic
Posts: 1531
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:26 am
Location: Thornton, CO
Contact:

#3 Postby ron blessing » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:47 pm

cousinned wrote:I love this idea, I will definitely try it out the next time I run a game! Although I would probably limit it to once per player per session: once per scene might make the game seem too much like the Three Stooges. I'd also try to relate the critical failure to one of the PC's hindrances to make it more personal.


Sounds reasonable. Let me know how it goes!

User avatar
The GIT!
Heroic
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:57 pm
Location: Aquilonia

#4 Postby The GIT! » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm

My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty :twisted:

ogbendog
Legendary
Posts: 2698
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:55 am

#5 Postby ogbendog » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Well, figure the average skill, at least for novices, is d6. The odds of snake eys is 1/36, or around 3 percent.

5 pcs. each takes an action per turn, plus resisting spells, grapples, notice checks and the like. Probably around a 10 or 15% chance each round of combat
Bill Ogden
Author of Kaiser's Gate Field Manual Vol 1: Mounts, now available for purchase.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Ka ... ual-Mounts

User avatar
ron blessing
Heroic
Posts: 1531
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:26 am
Location: Thornton, CO
Contact:

#6 Postby ron blessing » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 pm

The GIT! wrote:My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty :twisted:


Oh I certainly wouldn't use this rule in an AoO game. This is more for noir-style games—detectives, investigation, that sort of thing.

User avatar
The GIT!
Heroic
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:57 pm
Location: Aquilonia

#7 Postby The GIT! » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32 pm

ron blessing wrote:
The GIT! wrote:My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty :twisted:


Oh I certainly wouldn't use this rule in an AoO game. This is more for noir-style games—detectives, investigation, that sort of thing.

I was just using AoO as an example because that's what I'm running at the moment; I personally wouldn't use this houserule in any of my SW games for the reasons I gave above (but I can understand why some people may like to use it).

fanchergw
Heroic
Posts: 1655
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle area

#8 Postby fanchergw » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 pm

I think rather than a rule, I would be more inclined to bribing a player to choose to not reroll by offering a benny reward. Their choice: spend a benny and reroll or get an additonal benny and suffer the consequences of the bad roll.

Gordon

nDervish
Seasoned
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Lund, Sweden

#9 Postby nDervish » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:11 am

ron blessing wrote:Oh I certainly wouldn't use this rule in an AoO game. This is more for noir-style games—detectives, investigation, that sort of thing.

I don't really see the noir/detective connection. Seems to me that it's appropriate for any setting, regardless of genre, where the characters are intended to be fallible and to screw up occasionally. (From what little I know of AoO, I agree that it doesn't seem to be that kind of setting, so I'm not questioning that part of your comment.)

User avatar
Sitting Duck
Legendary
Posts: 5370
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 6:47 am
Location: Podunk Junction, State of Confusion

#10 Postby Sitting Duck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:45 am

The GIT! wrote:My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty :twisted:


Another possible house rule is, if you use a benny to reroll a critical failure, said benny goes to the GM's general NPC benny pool.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

User avatar
GruffaloCrumble
Seasoned
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:11 pm

#11 Postby GruffaloCrumble » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:13 am

I can't access the link in the original post from my office computer, so I'm hoping this comment is on topic. :p

I've always given players a benny when they critically fail a roll and it seems to go down well. When I tried running a game without that particular house-rule, the players rebelled. :D

amerigoV
Heroic
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

#12 Postby amerigoV » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am

Sitting Duck wrote:
Another possible house rule is, if you use a benny to reroll a critical failure, said benny goes to the GM's general NPC benny pool.


I know Deadlands has that with the Red Bennies - but as a Player I treat them the same as a Blue - ie, I would not even hesitate to spend the Bennie to get out of the Crit/Fail. The GM is all powerful anyway - if the fight is going badly for his/her guys King Kong can show up out of nowhere if he/she wants. But they generally have to exercise some restraint. So I am not really adding anything to their ability to kill my PC. Its just an illusion.
Savage Buckeye!


Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest