Needing some help on gettng started!

Information and comments on all Pinnacle official Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Drexlin
Novice

Needing some help on gettng started!

#1 Postby Drexlin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:50 am

Howdy all! i have enjoyed Deadlands for a long time now and our grp as always loved it and even the SW changes into reloaded. we also ran a fantasy campaign thru D&D stuff and as we have become disheartened with the current 4e, and we have all agreed we love the rules and such in SW we are going to switch.

Now to my question! sorry for the length of the post! i am going to get the SW Deluxe cause i want it :) and the Horror Companion. What I'm up in the air about cause i can find no info on it is whether or not i should get the Fantasy Companion PDF.

I really want a physical book and can find none with even a decent price range on it and started to wonder if i really need it. i will prob get the PDF anyways but i guess i need to know if there is enough info to help swing me to get me a physical copy instead of the PDF. Any and all info is greatly appreciated! :-D

Lord Karick
Seasoned

#2 Postby Lord Karick » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Drexlin, and welcome.
The FC added a lot of typical fantasy elements to the relatively bare-bones SW Explorer (SWEX). Some of that got incorporated into SWD, especially the races and Powers. The rest of the FC concerns mostly magic items and bestiary. Magic items can be made up anyway, the bestiary could be useful if you're just starting out with SW. There's also a section on siege warfare in the FC that doesn't appear in SWD, same for alchemy. Bottom line: you would probably benefit from it.

Drexlin
Novice

#3 Postby Drexlin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am

thanks alot for the info! ill prob go with the pdf for now then as a physical copy is seemingly outrageous at the moment. :)

Connallmac
Seasoned

#4 Postby Connallmac » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Drexlin wrote:thanks alot for the info! ill prob go with the pdf for now then as a physical copy is seemingly outrageous at the moment. :)

Well you could always print out the pdf and have it spiral bound at a Staples or Office Max.

Timon
Heroic

#5 Postby Timon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:35 am

I bought the Fantasy Companion a while ago and was a bit underwhelmed. The siege rules are nice, but you can do most of what they do with the mass battle rules and a little creativity. I think if you have the SWD you can invent most of the other fantasy elements you need.
Biting! It's like kissing but there's a winner!
The Doctor's Wife

Drexlin
Novice

#6 Postby Drexlin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:02 am

thanks for the help again folks, refreshing to be on some forums that don't spread hate and discontent( WoW player) 8) anyways! I've decided to go the print the pdf and take it to have it bound, thanks again!

Return to “SW Official Settings & Companions”