Looking for Monster/NPC Index Card Template

A forum for discussing anything used to add to your Savage Worlds games; miniatures, terrain, character sheets, or game aides of any type.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Lawngnome4hire
Seasoned

Looking for Monster/NPC Index Card Template

#1 Postby Lawngnome4hire » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:51 am

I want to build a file box of monsters/npcs so I don't have to flip back and forth between pages during combat. Does anyone have, or is willing to make, a form fillable pdf or office template so that I can type in monster info. Preferably front and back so there is ample room for more complicated monsters like dragons and liches etc.

heathd666
Seasoned

#2 Postby heathd666 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:43 am

i believe there was one something like what you are looking for in the explorers society downloads

sablemage
Veteran

#3 Postby sablemage » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:19 am

There's one here by Bhoritz (look for the download link under the second picture, one here by James, and the SW version of MetaCreator has an option to print character sheets to 3x5 index cards.

I used MetaCreator because (a) I had it anyway and (b) it saved me having to write stats onto all those cards by hand...

VonDan
Legendary

#4 Postby VonDan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:04 am

I made this one as a Word Template

But i lost it when i dropped a Hard drive

Lawngnome4hire
Seasoned

#5 Postby Lawngnome4hire » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Unfortunately none of these will work. They're all either not form fillable, or not printable straight to a 3x5 card. I don't want a full page that I'd have to cut out and end up with uneven edges.

Metacreator would be perfect, if it had the fantasy companion. Without that it is unfortunately worthless to me.

I'm planning on making a lot of these so I really need something form fillable so I can type everything in easily and not have to deal with my bad hand writing.

Thanks for trying, but is there anything else out there?

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#6 Postby TheLoremaster » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Lawngnome4hire wrote:Metacreator would be perfect, if it had the fantasy companion. Without that it is unfortunately worthless to me.

Why? The core rules contain almost everything you'd need, other than the handful of new Edges, and some of the unique monstrous abilities. The treasure tables are their own beasts, but I don't think you'd need the full code for the Fantasy Companion. It might be simpler than you'd think.

You could also create a template file in your word processor of choice, then just type stats directly into that. I've done that as well, although I still prefer using MC.
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

Lawngnome4hire
Seasoned

#7 Postby Lawngnome4hire » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:26 pm

TheLoremaster wrote:
Lawngnome4hire wrote:Metacreator would be perfect, if it had the fantasy companion. Without that it is unfortunately worthless to me.

Why? The core rules contain almost everything you'd need, other than the handful of new Edges, and some of the unique monstrous abilities. The treasure tables are their own beasts, but I don't think you'd need the full code for the Fantasy Companion. It might be simpler than you'd think.

You could also create a template file in your word processor of choice, then just type stats directly into that. I've done that as well, although I still prefer using MC.

Because my group plays fantasy almost exclusively, so the new edges, powers, equipment etc will be heavily used. Not to mention there are a lot of monsters in fantasy that will be used. Plus I don't want to shell out $30 for the program when I already have hero labs.

I might look into creating a template, but I've never done anything like that so not sure how difficult that would be.

VonDan
Legendary

#8 Postby VonDan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:31 pm

I had mine word table set to make 4 cards on a 8x11 sheet of paper

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#9 Postby TheLoremaster » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Lawngnome4hire wrote:Plus I don't want to shell out $30 for the program when I already have hero labs.

OK, fair point, that makes it even simpler. In Hero Lab, from the File menu, select Output Hero Statblock. Choose Plain Text, and you can then copy it to any document you like. OR you can just use the Print option, and set your printer preferences to use a 3x5 card. Check your printer documentation to see how.

I just tried it, and it doesn't give you a lot of configuration options, but perhaps some one on the Hero Lab forums might have a better layout template. Would be worth checking there too.

Hope that helps!
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

Lawngnome4hire
Seasoned

#10 Postby Lawngnome4hire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:37 am

Ok so I dove into openoffice.org and started making my own sized for a 4x6 index card. I'm not done but I wanted to post it here to get feed back on my progress. I plan on making a backside with room for extra gear and powers etc. Any suggestions on things I may have missed or should change? Fyi "Wild Card" is a place holder for the characters name, and the section to the right of the stats is for skills.

Bhoritz
Seasoned

#11 Postby Bhoritz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Do you intend to make it form fillable? Then, maybe a square to check before the name could show if the character is a Wild Card?

Bhoritz
Seasoned

#12 Postby Bhoritz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:13 pm

sablemage wrote:There's one here by Bhoritz (look for the download link under the second picture

There is a newer version here, which is form fillable (but not 3X5, still moleskine sized).

Lawngnome4hire
Seasoned

#13 Postby Lawngnome4hire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Bhoritz wrote:Do you intend to make it form fillable? Then, maybe a square to check before the name could show if the character is a Wild Card?

It's an openoffice word doc so you can fill it out. I don't know how to make form fillable pdfs or add things like check boxes however.

Lawngnome4hire
Seasoned

#14 Postby Lawngnome4hire » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:16 am

Ok I think this is finished. I did the back page and added in sanity with the other derived stats. If you don't use the setting rules from the HC feel free to edit it and psychosis out. You can use this for wild cards or extras just put an X in the relevant box in the bottom.

This is an openoffice document so you fill it out and save copies as needed. Sized to fit on a 4x6 index card.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwYaeIW ... sp=sharing

VonDan
Legendary

#15 Postby VonDan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 am

Your welcome for the idea

I made my first set of cards so they followed the format of the NPC entries in the Beastery section of the SWEX, later ones were more expansive

You got every thing you need there except maybe for some games there is a level of either fame/Status/Honor/etc

Other Mike
Seasoned

#16 Postby Other Mike » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:08 pm

While I have no problem creating form fillable PDF's, I instead tend to print my "critter's" on a card stock roughly the size of a baseball cade. I then put them into a hard plastic baseball card holder (yeah, I've been collecting football cards since I was 15). For an ongoing campaign, like 50 Fathoms, I tend to use them over and over, so I have a nice little stack I can pull from as I need them.

Since different critters have different abilities, I tried not to get too formal about what goes where, when it comes to skills and abilities. Here is a PDF version of page 1 of the file (I have built it up over time). I don't always have everything there from the book ... I put what I think is important to me as a GM. And I sometimes tweak them more to my liking.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/121 ... itters.pdf

Oh, and if I really don't have enough room, I'll use two of my "cells" and just fold it over for a double sided card.
My delusions of grandeur are way bigger than yours!

Return to “SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides”