Pay what you want for Fan License ?

Post questions or comments directly to the Pinnacle crew here. Please be patient and try to keep conversations to a BARE minimum--the guys get a LOT of mail! Please also direct rules questions to the relevant forum--most folks there will already know what you're looking for. Thanks!

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ogbendog
Legendary

Pay what you want for Fan License ?

#1 Postby ogbendog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Rpgnow has a Pay What You Want option for a price, so the item is free unless you want to pay for it.

On the licensing page, under the Fan license, it says:

8 ) This licensee agrees not to charge for the product in any way, shape, or form

Would it be permitted for a a Fan license product to be Pay What You Want?

On the one hand, a person could make it free on a website or etc, then ask for donations by PayPal. The Pay What You Want simply makes that easier to do.

EDIT: although now that I think about it, asking for donation might violate the spirit of rule 8.
Bill Ogden
Author of Kaiser's Gate Field Manual Vol 1: Mounts, now available for purchase.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Ka ... ual-Mounts

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Pay what you want for Fan License ?

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:14 pm

ogbendog wrote:Rpgnow has a Pay What You Want option for a price, so the item is free unless you want to pay for it.

8 ) This licensee agrees not to charge for the product in any way, shape, or form

On the one hand, a person could make it free on a website or etc, then ask for donations by PayPal. The Pay What You Want simply makes that easier to do.

EDIT: although now that I think about it, asking for donation might violate the spirit of rule 8.

Nope, it would be an actual violation of that rule. Section 8 clearly states not charging "in any way, shape, or form," and Pay What You Want is a way of charging, even if voluntary.

It has to be free, completely and utterly, to qualify under the Fan License. Anything else requires being an approved licensee, including Pay What You Want.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

firesuperioritycomplex
Seasoned

Re: Pay what you want for Fan License ?

#3 Postby firesuperioritycomplex » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 am

Clint wrote:
ogbendog wrote:Rpgnow has a Pay What You Want option for a price, so the item is free unless you want to pay for it.

Nope, it would be an actual violation of that rule. Section 8 clearly states not charging "in any way, shape, or form," and Pay What You Want is a way of charging, even if voluntary.

It has to be free, completely and utterly, to qualify under the Fan License. Anything else requires being an approved licensee, including Pay What You Want.

I'm sorry...I know the rules say no discussioon in these topics but OP presented another valid concern. Is it okay to have a donate button in a place that has fan materials?
No Greater Friend. No Worse Enemy.

Currently Running: War of the Dead
War of the Dead: Alternate Beginnings

Return to “Hey Pinnacle!”