Which do you prefer, maps or tiles?

A forum for discussing anything used to add to your Savage Worlds games; miniatures, terrain, character sheets, or game aides of any type.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Which do you prefer?

Blank maps w/ marker
28%
Pre-printed maps
18%
Dungeon Tiles
15%
All of the above
40%

Total votes: 40

Vinzent
Heroic

Which do you prefer, maps or tiles?

#1 Postby Vinzent » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Don't vote for what you are forced to use, but what you would rather use.

Do you prefer blank maps with drawn terrain, pre-printed maps, or dungeon tiles?
My Savage Worlds Blog
Get off the Human reservation. Read The Starrunner by C.B. Jones

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:52 pm

I prefer accurate 3D terrain. It's a ton cooler and so much more immersing. I just don't have the time or resources to build / purchase it for my games.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Rohan
Veteran

#3 Postby Rohan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:39 am

I prefer maps to tiles, but whatever I can use to get the visual on the table for the players works. Lately I've been moving to pre-printed maps and I acquired a pretty sizeable piece of lexan that I lay over the top of them...it's dry-erase friendly and light weight, and so much better than the 70 pound battle-board that we have.
Kevin Rohan, Content Director
www.silvergryphongames.com

Become a fan on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Silvergryphongames

Current WIP: Wellstone City Chronicles, Puppets, and One-liners

kaltorak
Veteran

#4 Postby kaltorak » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:53 am

Map tiles with "extras", where with extra I mean detachable pieces as crates, beds, doors, walls that i can place over the tiles to customize it to my needs.

kronovan
Heroic

#5 Postby kronovan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:30 am

I actually use all of those options for my PnP games. I like to play on preprinted maps, but if it isn't feasible I'll just us water erasable markers on a Chessex Battlemap. Most of the time I design my dungeon or building interior layouts in Maptool and then convert them into 8x10" tiles that get printed out and then placed end -to- end on the battlemap. If its a tile set I know is going to get used a lot, I'll laminate it using 3 sheets of 110 lb cardstock.

For my Weird Wars campaigns I often use 1:72 scale 3d terrain and I have a good assortment of objects like trees, bunker sandbags, walls, fences, various small buildings, farm animals etc. I also have a decent size collection of 1:72 figs that get used as enemy and ally extras as well as civilians.

Lord Inar
Heroic

#6 Postby Lord Inar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 am

kronovan wrote:I actually use all of those options for my PnP games. I like to play on preprinted maps, but if it isn't feasible I'll just us water erasable markers on a Chessex Battlemap.

Same here, tiles not so much since they're too easy to move.

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#7 Postby Sean-Khan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:30 pm

If I'm not using 3d terrains, my optimal solution would be good quality base maps and tiles placed on them. Dungeons of course don't need base map and would work best as tiles.

kronovan
Heroic

#8 Postby kronovan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Lord Inar wrote:
kronovan wrote:I actually use all of those options for my PnP games. I like to play on preprinted maps, but if it isn't feasible I'll just us water erasable markers on a Chessex Battlemap.

Same here, tiles not so much since they're too easy to move.

I use a 1/8" sheet of plexiglass to prevent that. Once the tiles are laid on my chessex map I just lay down the plexi and voila no more movement. And if we're also using 3D terrain it just goes on top of the plexi. ;)

Return to “SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides”